Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well ive read over and over most of the posts here reagrding all kinds of swaps between different flavors of hyundai. Im still havnt seen this yet, but im confident i can do it; esp if you can put one in a accent, etc.. I have a 1.8 elantra with 144k miles, it starting to run a lil crappy.. I have just bought a 2.0 engine, and a tranny with 15k miles from a 2000 elantra. Now as far as i can tell the engine is a direct bolt on and all the wiring is the same. (except for a torque reduction request from the tcu wich i dont give &%^ in reducing torque).

Now for the tranny. The biggiest obstacle i see is is 98' they started using 6 prong tran valve body solenoid interface. They added a pressure valve "b" and a shift control "c". So it seems i can either take the tranny apart and swap out the valve body from my old tranny, which i really dont want to do (but would prolly be easier) or change the wiring. So i came up with this.

The new tranny's valves can only be controled by a new tcu. So.. get a used 98+ tcu, swap over the existing wires, and and run 2 new wires to the valve control harness. It seems i need i extra ground and a +12 wire to the tcu aswell. What about the torque reduction signal? IS it really necessary to send it to the engine? (which seems to require replacing the ecu and re-wiring aswell) Thanks for any help! i am ready to git er done! ;):

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well i talked to a automotive performance technician, and he told me that: "The torque reduction signal in the newer models was designed to reduce torque during shift, to take the pressure off the transmission." So it seems that you need to replace the tcu and ecu.. HOW CAN NOONE HAVE DONE THIS SWAP BEFORE??????? ANYONE?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbsup: Alright!!! Well a couple weeks ago my old tranny died, so i was kinda forced to do the swap. At first it seemed a bit complicated but i really didn't have much of a choice, so i just dove in.

First i went to hma and downloaded and printed the schematics for both the '97 and the '00 trannys, and printed them. I made up a pinout sheet of the connector side the the tcu interface. It turns out that they both use the exact same connector, but some of the wires were switched.

I was at first going to rewire the original, but decided to leave it and add a second.. so now my car is a universal fit!! 96-00 Got a new harness from the junkyard from a '99 and started tapping into the wires. Noticed a while through a couple wires were not in some necessary slots. So i just inserted a couple new wires into blank spots on the connector, that i ripped out from another one.

A pulled out the engine / tranny as an assy. (of course i ran into a couple probs, broken ratchets, and a damn cv that was somehow held into the tranny by some intangible source, and wound up having to slowly pull/slide the whole assy sideways to get it out). I bolted the new engine/tran together and dropped 'em in with a lil help from my neighbor (to guide it in).

After running two temp wires to the tranny sol. and trying to rewire the four that were there, i plugged in the new comp. started the car up, and it went into reverse, than forward, but it wouldn't shift. So i gave up on the old wires and made a new harness/connector of the 6 sol. wires and ran straight to the new ecu. SUCCESS!! Only thing that bothered me was the torque reduction signal from the tcu to the ecu for shifts. To install this i would have to re-wire and install the new '00 engine computer, because the old one doesn't have a t.r. interface. Just looking at the 70 or so wires coming off the pigtail of the tcu makes me gag. I'm just going to do without. Maybe ill figure out a way to install a piggyback device that will retard the timing and cut the injectors during shift (as determined by the torque reduction signal coming from the tcu)

A couple days after i stared, many bruises and cuts and beers later, the elantra works great!! It was actually not that hard. Anyone with basic electronics knowledge and time and motivation could do it. If anyone is interested i can post the pinout conversion and some pics of the swap!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!! -WILL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts