Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to paint my tail lights do I have to sand blast it before paint it????:confused:How to proceed?And is it possible to paint the interior of headlight or it will affect the luminosity?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot,do I need a special paint to do it??????

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you open it, you will notice that they are painted chrome on parts of the housing, if not all of it. This is to increase the reflectivity. (You can see this in the headlights) There will be parts on the inside that you can paint, like the borders, but you want to leave the inside shiny to keep your lights bright.

And I don't think you want to sand blast it. I can imagine that tearing it to pieces, being really uneven, and providing a terrible surface to paint on.

EDIT: I noticed you have an older car and the taillights could be different from those of newer cars, but I think they still are reflective inside and the plastic still probably won't hold up to sand blasting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks you very much

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can i just use a sand paper on my tail light before paint it just to be sure that the paint stay on it??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used "0000" steel wool, followed by a little bit a paint thinner as like a degreaser. I wanted something different for mine, so I looked up tattoo designs online. Found what I wanted, designed to fit to size I was wanting.
I then used blue painters tape and taped off my whole light and traced out the design. Carefully I cut out the designs and peeled away all areas to be painted. I used a wheel coating paint. I'm sure you could use any automotive exterior paint, but remember yo either lightly darken or at least leave 75% visible light.

Heres pics of my taillights:

I've had cops behind me manytimes since then and none of them have stopped me for it. I recently got a speeding ticketfor a 48 in 35 and even then he still did not mention anything about it. was even a Washington State Trooper too.

I'm actually going to be changing this soon.

GDA

·
Registered
43 Posts
it depends what you actually want to do....just tint them? this is what i did with mine i just outlined and painted around the lights

·
Registered
43 Posts
ha yea waiting sucks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts