1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does everyone launch their car? or the fastest way to get off the line

i hold the revs to about 3500 and then ease/dump the clutch

my friend redlines it and rides the clutch out

what is the best way to take off? wheel spin or no wheel spin or slight spinning?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You ride it you fry it. If you like to replace your clucth alot, go ahead. I found a 3k dump and about a 3/4 throttle till it grips then stop it. The wheels only chirp and then grip like hell. I drive my car everyday, and it needs to make it home cause its my ride from the track. I play nice is what im trying to say.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i posted this about a hundred years ago and this is why it should have been sticky.

Manual tranny
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do your burnout, on your first run, careful not to produce too much smoke, as this is your gauge of the chemical composition of your tires, you want to burn for maybe 3 seconds or a little more, just to get the tires sticky, but not liquidated, if you go from ice cold tires to liquid rubber, you'll get no traction....on your second run burn them a little more, 4 seconds i want to say, this will produce optimal temp for adhesion.....on your third run burnout considerably less, as you dont want to destroy the composittion you've established, so two seconds and NO handbrake for the third burn, just carry past the line if you have to, reverse and watch the starter to stage you correctly, make sure you dont botch your stage because your tires are as sticky as ever and you dont want them cooling off....
on the line wait for your second stagelight to shine.....you'll see the tree drop from one yellow to three to green, in between three yellow and green is where you want to start off your clutch, as it takes about half a second for you body to register whats going on, you should catch the green just as it comes on....be careful as not to get jumpy, or you'll redlight....i suggest taking four deep breaths when your first stagelight shines, this will calm your nerves considerably... dont be afraid to redlight one or two runs, to get used to the light time, its okay, you can do it......
ok now the launch itself isn't all that complicated, but it takes patience......key your throttle to 2500 RPM at the stage and when the time comes, let the clutch out, DO NOT DROP THE HAMMER, as you will get wheel hop and crappy 60 ft's, when you let your clutch out, do not be afraid to burn some carbide off it, let off slowly, but not too slow as to lose RPMS, when your foot reaches the grab-point of the clutch, quickly let off your foot and shift just prior to your redline, thats first gear, second gear comes on strong in hyundais, so when it ends you'll need to be very quick with your clutch foot to synch the gear correctly with third, which is an imports favorite, keep your throttle hammered throughout your run, do not let off, its ok to burn some clutch here its only a quarter mile, ok now thirds approching the red, keep it floored, and tap your clutch to fourth you'll only use fourth for a very short time, don't let off your throttle till you see X's or checkers, then let off and brake, pick up your slip and DO NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED. practice your launch religiously, and get good....traffic lights help your timing, but watch for the man, and remember, you're not john force, practice makes perfect.....between runs wait for a while with your hood up and fire up again when your motor is at the lower quarter of your operating temp, NOT ICE COLD.

have fun and practice practice PRACTICE, dammit!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auto Tranny
ok this is slightly different because you don't have a clutch to help, but try to burnout if you have the power, usisng the guide above, if you dont, dont bother, just stage up, and run your torque converter to max rpms, then in between yellow and green quickly get off your brakes, and if you can do it, utilize lift-throttle-shifting at the redline of your motor, which means quickly get off the gas and right back on it just before your tranny shifts, this will allow it to slam into gear rather than just moosh into it.....practice this as much as you can to get good, and also try the method of fire-and-forget, which means no lifting at all
practice and hone your skills and you may get a time like wytchdctr's.....which is exceptional for an accent.

-SR20

·
Registered
313 Posts
i remember you saying that from last time :rambo:

when i used to launch at 3 grand i got wheel hop...what did you launch at with the accent?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
My "engagement area" is kinda short, maybe one or one and a half inches. I dont mean full pedal travel, I mean pedal travel from clutch pushed partly in and engine/wheels moving independently to clutch pushed partly in and both parts moving without slip.

I don't have a tach, but based on the notes the intake makes, about 3k sounds right.

I let the clutch out about 1/3 of the previously mentioned "engagement area". As soon as the wheels are turning I start to bring the pedal up as fast as my foot can go. I do kinda studder or slow/pausish when there is about 1/3 of that area left as it seems to help eliminate wheel hop after the initial chirp.

HOWEVER, this is my stoplight/open country road technique. I have not taken it to the track, so I can't verify that this is the fastest way.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Originally posted by Sunrise_Racer_20
[body]
i posted this about a hundred years ago and this is why it should have been sticky.

Manual tranny
Do your burnout, on your first run, careful not to produce too much smoke, as this is your gauge of the chemical composition of your tires, you want to burn for maybe 3 seconds or a little more, just to get the tires sticky, but not liquidated, if you go from ice cold tires to liquid rubber, you'll get no traction....on your second run burn them a little more, 4 seconds i want to say, this will produce optimal temp for adhesion.....on your third run burnout considerably less, as you dont want to destroy the composittion you've established, so two seconds and NO handbrake for the third burn, just carry past the line if you have to, reverse and watch the starter to stage you correctly, make sure you dont botch your stage because your tires are as sticky as ever and you dont want them cooling off....
on the line wait for your second stagelight to shine.....you'll see the tree drop from one yellow to three to green, in between three yellow and green is where you want to start off your clutch, as it takes about half a second for you body to register whats going on, you should catch the green just as it comes on....be careful as not to get jumpy, or you'll redlight....i suggest taking four deep breaths when your first stagelight shines, this will calm your nerves considerably... dont be afraid to redlight one or two runs, to get used to the light time, its okay, you can do it......
ok now the launch itself isn't all that complicated, but it takes patience......key your throttle to 2500 RPM at the stage and when the time comes, let the clutch out, DO NOT DROP THE HAMMER, as you will get wheel hop and crappy 60 ft's, when you let your clutch out, do not be afraid to burn some carbide off it, let off slowly, but not too slow as to lose RPMS, when your foot reaches the grab-point of the clutch, quickly let off your foot and shift just prior to your redline, thats first gear, second gear comes on strong in hyundais, so when it ends you'll need to be very quick with your clutch foot to synch the gear correctly with third, which is an imports favorite, keep your throttle hammered throughout your run, do not let off, its ok to burn some clutch here its only a quarter mile, ok now thirds approching the red, keep it floored, and tap your clutch to fourth you'll only use fourth for a very short time, don't let off your throttle till you see X's or checkers, then let off and brake, pick up your slip and DO NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED. practice your launch religiously, and get good....traffic lights help your timing, but watch for the man, and remember, you're not john force, practice makes perfect.....between runs wait for a while with your hood up and fire up again when your motor is at the lower quarter of your operating temp, NOT ICE COLD.

have fun and practice practice PRACTICE, dammit!
Auto Tranny
ok this is slightly different because you don't have a clutch to help, but try to burnout if you have the power, usisng the guide above, if you dont, dont bother, just stage up, and run your torque converter to max rpms, then in between yellow and green quickly get off your brakes, and if you can do it, utilize lift-throttle-shifting at the redline of your motor, which means quickly get off the gas and right back on it just before your tranny shifts, this will allow it to slam into gear rather than just moosh into it.....practice this as much as you can to get good, and also try the method of fire-and-forget, which means no lifting at all
practice and hone your skills and you may get a time like wytchdctr's.....which is exceptional for an accent.

-SR20

[/body]
I was looking for this. I remember it was on club accent before it was taken down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts