Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering what the usual sounds my car makes are:

-chain rattling sound under acceleration. don't know how to describe it more then that.

-and one that sort of ressembles the sound a cricket makes. it's high pitched, usually notice it when i'm off the throttle and decelerating.

Is the first one my timing chain?
is the second noise my water pump?
or should I turn the music up?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
one solution is to poor gassoline in your oil and see if that helps, after that it will make one large bang and that will be the end of all annoying sounds....

That or take it to get serviced to see what's up...

the deceleration noise is normal especially in 1st gear, sound of the gearing winding down

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the gear whine I am familiar with.

but this noise seems seperate, only hear it with the windows down.

had it serviced today: oil/tranny fluid change

i'll try the gas thing and tell you how it goes

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
perfectly normal:chinese:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope, familier with that sound too.

it also occurs when i'm off the brake.

sounds very similar to crickets. and not very loud

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
You should verify it's not your brakes. Often they will make a noise like you describe even when not applying the brakes if the clip can make contact, sometimes due to a broken pad retaining clip or something similar. It won't only make the familiar "my brakes are worn out" squeal. Another option is your wheel bearings. Have a friend outside of the car try to hear where the noise is coming from, especially if it will do it at low speeds.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just paid more attention to it while I was driving tonight.

it is constant, just easier to hear when i'm off the gas for obvious reasons.
It doesn't seem to change with rev's or speed. but ofcourse it's more noticable at lower revs and speed do to road noise.

I'll attempt to pin-point the noise tomorrow. I'll atleast be able to narrow it down to either a rolling noise or a stopped noise. (engine or wheels). Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just went in for a closer inspection.. all standing noises.

Sounds like crickets until I open the hood, then it sounds like more of a moderate to high pitched buzz/rattle that seems to be coming from the injectors/IM/TB area

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also noticed that when I punched the gas a little and let it drop back down to idle, it drooped down to about 500rpm and struggled a little.. but didn't quite die.

·
Registered
453 Posts
sounds like the dif noise I heard on my mom's old shillouette minivan. note really mini. but that sound to me like differential noise, if it gets loud or if you can feel it grinding, get it looked at, but dont worry, cars make noises, they are mechanical

I panic whenever I hear a new sound my car makes (usually after a temp change of more than 10*) but it is always nothing... except when I screw something up, then it's money...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew it was nothing serious.

Just a little annoying at times, but I'll go back to drowning it out with music ;):

thanks for the input all!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts