Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
hey guys, My father owns an 89 Excel, and my mom used to have a 92? Scoupe, and they both had the SAME 4g15 1.5l motor that I currently have in my 93 Mitsu Mirage.

I have a VERY detailed list of "neccessaries" for swapping in the 4g63t motor into the Mirage, so it should be useful for you to. check it out under the FAQ at www.MirageTuner.com.

I'm soon to be getting a 94 Excel hatch, and I'm planning on turboing the 1.5l motor in it, then way down the road pulling that motor to put in my Mirage(family car) and dropping a 4g63t into the Excel. I think that with minimal work turboing the 1.5l is possible, at least to the mitsu 1.5l (keep in mind there ARE differences between the Mitsu 1.5l and Hyundai 1.5l electronically). I believe all you need is the ECU and MAP from the Turbo Scoupe (ignition may become a problem on the hyundai, however the Mitsu is distributor based), the exhaust manifold, larger injectors and a Rising FPR. this is VERY basic mods besides the obvious turbo, piping, and exhaust work.

hope some of this helps,
blytz

· Registered
64 Posts
Unless I'm completely mistaken, the early Hyundai motors used the EXACT same mounts as the Mitsu motors and they faced the same direction. Newer Mitsu Mirage's do have a rotated motor, but that's a whole 'nother story!

In just comparing Excels/Scoupe to Mirage, I believe that all US spec pre 95 Excels and pre 97+ Mirages have very similar engine bays and that the 4g63t (we are all talking about the eclipse motor, right?) swap is HIGHLY feasible and has been done in both Excels and Mirages.

blytz

· Registered
64 Posts
the weight diffrence is worth it in the amount of HP increase.... your car will fly with the 2.0t!

I think that going AWD would be a waste of time, myself, but i think it's possible. I know of a guy that JUST got his 89 Mirage converted to AWD, TONS of custom work, but he is VERY mechanical himself.

blytz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.