Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My car has about 150,000 miles on the odometer. I was wanting to cleaning my engine thoroughly. I tried using the STP engine oil additive to clean it on the last flush, but the results weren't satisfactory. Anyhow my question here is (read it carefully)
"Can I drain my engine oil and fill the engine with petrol/diesel (about 4-5 liters i.e. till the rocker assembly) and leave it overnight?"

Of course I won't run the engine :D at that time!
All I wanna know if leaving it overnight filled with petrol/diesel would kill/damage anything or maybe cause some kind of leakage?

·
Registered
686 Posts
a lot of people run seafoam thru their engine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well...

The thing though, if you clean your system like that, any breaks in your seals, cracks and anything that has happened throughout the 150k will show. Say you have a cracked seal, Seafoam will remove all carbon deposits and probably unclog it, but if you're confident in the way you treated your car, it should be GREAT for it.

Seafoaming a car is quite simple. Take a bottle of seafoam and locate your Throttle body. Remote one of the vacuum lines, perferbably the middle one, and insert it into the can. and start your engine. Rev it up at a constant 2k-2.5k RPMs and make sure to suck up the seafoam slowly. *only Half A Can*

Open up your oil cap, and insert the other half. Let sit for 15-45 minutes. Then drive like a mad man up and down the street. DON'T stop the car once you get it started because it won't start up again until you remove and clean the spark plug tips becaues they will be wet. IT will be very smokey and quite entertaining.

AFter it stops smoking, park the car, drain your oil and refill. Your engine should be squeaky clean.

Voila!
Howie~

·
Registered
686 Posts
any checker auto parts, online, probably most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Asian_907 said:
Well...

The thing though, if you clean your system like that, any breaks in your seals, cracks and anything that has happened throughout the 150k will show. Say you have a cracked seal, Seafoam will remove all carbon deposits and probably unclog it, but if you're confident in the way you treated your car, it should be GREAT for it.

Seafoaming a car is quite simple. Take a bottle of seafoam and locate your Throttle body. Remote one of the vacuum lines, perferbably the middle one, and insert it into the can. and start your engine. Rev it up at a constant 2k-2.5k RPMs and make sure to suck up the seafoam slowly. *only Half A Can*

Open up your oil cap, and insert the other half. Let sit for 15-45 minutes. Then drive like a mad man up and down the street. DON'T stop the car once you get it started because it won't start up again until you remove and clean the spark plug tips becaues they will be wet. IT will be very smokey and quite entertaining.

AFter it stops smoking, park the car, drain your oil and refill. Your engine should be squeaky clean.

Voila!
Howie~
How much would it cost to change the head gasket? and what all seals can get effected?
So that once I have performed the SeaFoam Motor Treatment, I can change them or maybe get them replaced!
When you reffering to half a can, you mean 16 oz can or 1 gallon can?

·
Registered
687 Posts
You really dont need to worry about replacing a head gasket until it's cracked. It's really time consuming, and unless you know what you're doing, it's most definately not a weekend project to do on your own.

When you're using regular SAE and even most synthetic oils, carbon deposits will occur. If there are any cracks or holes in any valve seals, piston seals, or any other place, the resins in SAE or the carbon deposits will clog them up and prevent leaking. Seafoam or any other engine cleaner will remove those deposits and if you have any engine problems, the first signs will appear. If your engine is fine, this removal of carbon and resin and any other deposits will actually benefit your overall performance.

I'm assuming that you've done all your regular maintaince, and have treatted your engine fine, so you won't have any problems. Out of all my friends who've seafoamed our cars, none of them have occured any problems and we've done it to a LOT of cars. But, it's always good to know all the potential problems that might occur before you do anything.

Half a can of the 16 oz can. Half the can in the oil, half the can through the intake manifold. Don't race the car, but drive spirited until the smoke clears. This creates A LOT of smoke, so I recommend doing it in a place that is somewhat secluded, or at night.

Howie~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts