Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I bet it would fit, someone should look into doing that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've tought about this quite alot actually. I looked at these at the dealership where I work I know for sure that the theta 2.4 would fit nicely, and the lamba 3.3 might work since it fits in the engine bay of the sonata just like the 4cyl. Fitting would probably not be a problem for any year Tiburon or Elantra , but these new motors have electronic throttle, contrary to Elantras and Tibs, I think it would be possible to make it work, actually I always think anything is possible but thats beyond the point.

Swapping this would involve fitting the gas pedal assembly from the Sonata, more than likely having to swap all the harnesses and ecu, fabricating mounts, making an exhaust header that would line up better to the exhaust, and an intake that would work.

There might be a way to skip the whole electronic throttle issue for the 4 cyl. though, when I looked at this motor the first thing that struck me was the intake manifold, it's a two piece design with the plenum and runners being made of pvc plastic, these runners end where they are attached to the aluminum runners which are about 4-6 inches long and have the injector & fuel rail at the flange. It would actually be ideal to weld an indiviual throttle body setup to this aluminum manifold part. You could hook up a extended throttle cable to this and that would cancel the electronic throttle alltogether, the bad part about all this is that it would cost a lot, since you'd have to run stand alone fuel management

If someone were to swap any of these in with the electronic throttle I think it would be a good thing anyway, the tuning possibilities are extensive if you have the right amount of coin, Motec has recently released it's M800 engine management system which has features such as fully variable cam control and can support electronic throttle apllications, both of which are features on the new Sonatas.

I read a very long technical article about these Sonatas wich service writters get tested on, and I can say that theres a lot of potential for these motors. They are all aluminum and have state of the art design, the transmissions are very advanced, the 5-speed transmissions in the 4 cyl. Sonata and the new Accent are new concepts wich have proved to be stronger and more durable. I hope that we can see more people tuning these soon whether they are swapped or still in the Sonata. Swapping them would be fun, the Honda guys at first tought they would never be able to put their K-series motor in Civics, but they've done it in Civics, Integras, CRXs, Del Sols, Preludes & Accords, all of which have the tranny on the opposite side of the K-series. Our new Sonatas have the tranny on the same side as all Hyundais, which makes it easier for us than the Honda guys, hopefully someone with access to a cheap motor and tranny will try to swap it someday soon, it would bring some serious power to our Hyundais.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts