Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Throttle body coolant bypass.....

16K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Z_Spool 
#1 ·
What is the reason for doing this?

http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/tbb.php

( I know it says Elantra but it's in the Accent DIY post)

#2 ·
The colant hose's run throught the TB, the hot colant. So yeah, you have a CAI? Then keeping those hose's just nulled any cold air you might have gotten from the intake.

It works, i did it to my car.

#3 ·
Me too. I actually noticed quite a difference in semi-cool weather.

#5 ·
What happens is.

They run coolant through the throttle body to keep the throttle plate from freezing open (mostly in Canadia and Places in the US where it snows).

So if you do the bypass it'll take all that heat away from your throttle body and give you more of a throttle response/lower temp. But if you still live in cooler/colder area where it snows it would be wise to hook it back up to the stock way so your throttle plate doesnt freeze open and you cant stop your car during the winter/cold months. Like if you live in Arizona/Nevada/Some Parts of Cali... you should be fine w/ it off most of the time if not forever.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on May 5, 2006 6:28 AM]

#6 ·
Yeah I have to reconnect it next winter...the Chicago cold would work wonders on that TB :dead:

#7 ·
Well thats what I was looking for...lol...I have 15 mins. b4 i have to leave for class. I think I'll swap it right now....thanks...

#8 ·
That's when I did it too lol...right before class. I didn't even splice the two hoses together. I just pulled one of the hoses off and connected the other one to that spot.

#9 ·
i just did it and there was a noticeable difference. Is there going to be any drawbacks from this mod?

#10 ·
Originally posted by accentedeclipse
[body]
i just did it and there was a noticeable difference. Is there going to be any drawbacks from this mod?
[/body]
Nope, if you live in colder climates (freezing temperature) your TB plate could freeze open and you wont be able to stop.. =)

#11 ·
Originally posted by ftwvampftw
[body]
What happens is.

They run coolant through the throttle body to keep the throttle plate from freezing open (mostly in Canadia and Places in the US where it snows).

So if you do the bypass it'll take all that heat away from your throttle body and give you more of a throttle response/lower temp. But if you still live in cooler/colder area where it snows it would be wise to hook it back up to the stock way so your throttle plate doesnt freeze open and you cant stop your car during the winter/cold months. Like if you live in Arizona/Nevada/Some Parts of Cali... you should be fine w/ it off most of the time if not forever.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on May 5, 2006 6:28 AM]
[/body]
hahahahah please thats funny.

Ive been living in canada all my life and have NEVER had a throttle plate freez and ive been a mechanic for sometime now and have never heard about it happening.

Even if we lived in some magical world where it could happen and it froze.. its called you turn off the car, take it out of gear or stick it in N.

Wow that made my night

#15 ·
Originally posted by villeGS
[body]
If it never happen they wouldn't have made a recall for the LC Accent, they modified the air box or something to prevent this from happening, but if it wasn't a problem then why did they recall it?
[/body]
I still doubt it highly, considering I live in a cold climate 4 months out of the year

was it a recall or TSB?

[Edited by GregsterGSi on May 5, 2006 7:02 PM]

#17 ·
Originally posted by GregsterGSi
[body]
Originally posted by villeGS
[body]
If it never happen they wouldn't have made a recall for the LC Accent, they modified the air box or something to prevent this from happening, but if it wasn't a problem then why did they recall it?
[/body]
I still doubt it highly, considering I live in a cold climate 4 months out of the year

was it a recall or TSB?

[Edited by GregsterGSi on May 5, 2006 7:02 PM]
[/body]
QuitChurBitching... It has happened from a few members here that did the mod and one that didn't do the recall. Do a search.

If it doesn't happen to you.. doesn't mean it wont happen to someone else.. its the prostitute rule.. just cause you didn't catch it.. doesn't mean someone else wont.

NHTSA Recall No. 01V346/Hyundai Recall No. 047
Vehicles: Hyundai 2000-2001 Accent vehicles equipped with 1.5 liter or 1.6 liter engines manufactured from August 1999 through May 2001.
Population: 26,608 passenger vehicles sold or currently registered in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Problem: While driving at a steady throttle opening for an extended period of time during extremely cold ambient temperatures (below approximately -5 degrees Fahrenheit with high humidity), moisture in the combustion chamber blowby gases can freeze and block the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve and hose. If the PCV hose freezes, combustion chamber gases are forced through the breather hose into the air intake hose and then into the throttle body. Moisture in the combustion chamber blowby gases may freeze inside the throttle body bore and throttle body idle speed control circuit resulting in the throttle valve not closing fully and a higher than normal idle speed when the accelerator pedal is released.
Remedy: Dealers will install a new, relocated PCV hose and will additionally install a heated throttle body on the 2000-2001 Accents equipped with 1.5-liter engines that were produced through January 31, 2001. Owners should contact Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151.

This is why that heated coolant runs through it.. if you take it off you need to put it on during colder weather..

Heres the search: http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/search.php?s=1&search=177036

Thank You.. Drive Through.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on May 6, 2006 9:42 AM]

#19 ·
Yup it does.

#20 ·
It does freezes... i've seen them happen on some cars where the weather is highly humid and cold... the velocity of the cold air freezes the water in the air.
But this mostly applies to highway, high speed driving for extended priods of time.

If it's city driving, it's not likely because of the constant movement of the throttle.

But SAFETY is the NUMBER ONE thing to remember. Fast cars don't kill, it's the driver, and foolish.

#21 ·
You know....I was just talking to a friend about this, they made the comment that nobody replied to a post that they made the night before on another forum and i told them to shut it and stop complaining. Anyway point is i said that i can go days maybe even weeks with out any replys made to anything i post and that if I do get one...it's only like 5-6 people. This one got 18 (not including myself). I' feel good. heh heh heh....:)

#22 ·
it took me 5 mins....... (2 to bypass and 3 cause i nhad to adjust my sri support.............. i'm going to reset the ecu tomorrow................ cause it's 11:30 at night........ and i have 4 cops that live by me...... so i cant drive around....... or i'll be in big trouble......

#23 ·
I have to admit I was lazy, and instead of disabling it entirely, I just took the hose that was easier to acces and put a shutoff valve in it. I chose one at the hardware store that was good up to like 400°.

This way I can enable/disable it with the turn of a valve instead of draining the coolant and swapping hoses around.

#24 ·
I live in Northern Alberta, Canada. I did this mod for two reasons, well mainly one reason. Sharkracing TB. As far as Throttle freeze up the temp around here while I had the mod got down to -31'C or -24'F DAMN COLD!! I drove liek I usually do to work at about 110-120 KPH or 70MPH The drive is about 1 hour long highway driving, When I reach work or have to let off the gas I've never had anythign freeze but my ass for the first 5 mins. Maybe it happens with the factory air box since it holds so much air in it and has a crappy filter, I'm not sure but yah I read the recall and would almost believe it if it wasn't for the fact that it has never happened to me.

#25 ·
Originally posted by Black03Accent
[body]
This way I can enable/disable it with the turn of a valve instead of draining the coolant and swapping hoses around.
[/body]
you dont have to drain anything just when you swap hoses put a towel in your engine bay just in case some coolent pops out of your hoses......

#26 ·
hey, my car has 91000 miles on it. would there be a benefit of getting the recall work done on my car? then I would get a new throttle body on hyundai (my car falls between the dates and they did notify me of the recall.

Just curious, and I will try to keep the old one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.