Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently went to an auto cross in my tibby and was quite pleased with the performance of my 01 tib. does anyone on here have any experience with autocrossing tibs? any tips or suggestions? .. .... besides not hitting cones ;):

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
AutoX is all about getting the maximum out of your car. As far as the Tib goes I find that it works quite well in the AutoX. If you get on the power too soon in the turns you will find it pushes just like any other FWD car. Just make sure you do your braking before you get into the corner and try to keep the inside tire from spinning due to the lack of an LSD.
I have found that since I have installed the Eibach Pro System Plus, I get a lot more oversteer.

Before going to the races try to make sure you have some high octane fuel (I use Sunoco 94) and put a little extra air in the tires. The recommended pressure is best for daily driving and gives you best ride quality. Putting a little extra air in the tires will help reduce the tire flex, keeping more of the tire tread and not tire wall on the track.
Some people use a white bingo dobber and put lines from the rim out on the tire to see how much the tire is rolling over in the turns. After the run they can either add or remove air from the tire to make sure that they have the proper amount of air for that track.

Make sure you bring a helmit because the loaners are pretty gross. Aspecially on a hot day and lots of sweatty driver wearing them.
Try to keep all of the useless clutter out of your car because after a run you may find that all that junk in your backseat has migrated all over your car.

Above all else have fun. Don't get upset if you are not the fastest car there. My goal is to better my time with each run.
8D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweetness, thanks for the tips. i see that u pull ur back wheel as well. people were tellin me i ws doin that too but nobody got a pic of it :disappointed: i have been looking at that eibach pro system plus, was it worth the money? and does it lower ur car any, i dont want my car to be slammed to the ground. i actually did put some 93 octane on her and put 40 psi in my bf goodies. i ended up in the middle of my class, no too bad for my 1st time i guess. im pretty sure i could have squeezed a little more out of her, most of it was driver error but that will improve with time. i def plan to keep on doin it this season and next. cant go to r comps in my class so i was thinkin about the kumho ECSTA MX's, anyone had any experience with them or know of any other good autox tires with a tread wear rating above 160?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The Eibach system was totally worth it. The rear tire doesn't come up like that anymore. I find that the ride isn't that bad. My fiance is always telling me to slow down on the corners. I barely notice that I am doubling or more the recommended speed limit in the corners.

It only lowered my car about 1.2" front and back. I didn't want it to be slammed either and am very happy with the results of the kit.

I havn't yet managed to get the front swaybar changed since it was a bitch to get in there. Maybe in the summer I will get around to doing it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mello, i have ecsta supra's and they are amazing. i havent autox'ed but ive taken it on virginia back roads and it sticks!! hell even normal street corners they stick. id recomend them to anyone wanting performance.

side note/question for cottonmouth, is the eibach system adjustable at all or is it just a solid 1.2?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The system is springs, shocks and swaybars. No adjustments can be made. I would need coilovers to be able to do that. But I wasn't fond of the ride quality I would get from them on my daily driver.

·
Registered
301 Posts
im really sry to be getting off topic, but whats the difference between the eibach sways and the sr sways?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neo i really hope ur not talking about the kuhmo supra 712's. yes they are a great tire for the money but def not too great for auto x. i went thru a set of 712's about a year ago, they were ok. if u think the 712's are good try bfgoodies g sports. auto x takes grip to a while diff. level. i live in virginia as well so i know what u mean by crazy roads. but what works well on the road doesent mean its good in auto x. i used my g sports in an auto x i went to last sunday and i was quite pleased.

on another note. does anyone know what offset i should go with when looking for wheels? i was thinking 16's with a 45 series tire or 17's was a 40 series. just dont know what offset i should be looking for. just wanted to know what people were going with that have put wheels on themselves.8D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts