Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
im geussin you guys all know but i heard that the 97 -00 tibs have bad gear boxes. While i was driving today i noticed that when trying to put it into 1st and 2nd somtimes it can be a bitch,and i got to move the stick around alittle for it to slip in.Now it aint done this before and im thinking about the problem that i heard with the gear boxes........Now can any one give me advise about this ....how can i see it starting to happen? how can it be fixed and how much? etc

thanks!
p.s i got a 97 tib

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Sticks,

The problem may not necessarily be the gearbox, but it may be the shift cables or gearshifter.

Your car, being a 97 model, has probably travelled around 150,000 km and done tens of thousands of gear changes. And with that sort of use, parts to get fatigued and wear out.

The gear shift cables do over time and through use stretch slightly. Remove the gear lever surround and boot, and have alook at the shift cables where they join onto the shifter. The cable on the left side is for the sideways movement (from 1-2 to 3-4 to 5-R gates) and the right side cable controls the forward/back movement. It's generally the left cable that causes the problems when it stretches a little, making it hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear.

Get two 10mm spanners, release the small lock nuts at each end of the turn-buckle and then spin teh turb-buckle around by 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn, which will shorten the shift cable by a small amount. Now do the lock-nuts back up, and go for a drive to see how it feels. If it's better but not perfecet, try another 1/4 turn on that turn-buckle and see how that is then. Generally no more than 1/2 to 3/4 turns is all it takes to make a big different to see how it feels.

The other thing to look at is the nylon and rubber bushes on the shifter itself. Through use these will wear out, and may need replacing. Around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 of the Excel and Coupe/Lantra we get back from customers who have fitted quickshifters have some of these bushes that are worn out, partially broken away or missing and need replacing
when we do the quickshifter conversion. A lot depends how heavy handed the driver has been when changing gears.

Hopefully this will help overcome your problems.

Cheers

Bretton
www.PerformanceStylingCentre.com.au

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks alot for that bretton! im gunna go check it out but just before i do .....i just wanted to say my kms are pretty low there at 97 000.....so i hope it is the cable or those rubbers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i find reverse a biatch

changing the wieght of the gear oil u use can change the way you rshift feels

i run a race oil, it is a cow to get into gear when it's cold, but will increase the longevity of the box :0

iv'e done 97000 k's aswell, and around 5000 of those are race k's and i have not done a thing to the box except change the oil

:bandit:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh kramit it's alittle bit of a bitch ay lol

Bretton
I had a look but didn't find any cables unless im blind as a bat which i would say so....the 2 things that make the gear stick move are like 2 "shocks " when u move it up and down the (there both on the left side) right one move and when u are in nooch the left one moves......they have got long rubber covers on them but im still geussing im wrong. I mite go and have another look.

·
Registered
459 Posts
They would be the cables you are looking at. They have a sheath over them like a bike cable with a way of adjusting them near the end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 96 with 185k on it. The box was giving me some trouble but it improved heaps by putting some Nulon G70 gearbox treatment in it. That stuff smoothed the changes out nice. And yes, our cars do suffer from crappy boxes. A short shifter helped the feel a lot also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts