Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the sound of the conversations going on around here, no one has a 'stock' Tiburon. But anyway, I was wondering what kind of fuel economy my 2001 Tiburon FX should be getting. It is nearing 90,000 kilometers (about 55,000 miles). I am getting about 27 miles per gallon. Is that low? Its a small car with a small engine, I would expect better.
Should I be using Premium or Regular gasonline?
Could I expect better fuel ecconomy with a cold air intake? or spark plugs designed for fuel ecconomy? could I chip the ECU?
What would be the best way to get farther on a tank?, with of coarse not spending alot or it would be pointless to do so.

Myke

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I keep good care of my car. I do my recommended Maintenance and I did two Engine Flushes. I get about 34-36 Miles per gallon Mixed Highway/City A/C on/off. I recommend doing fuel injection cleaner every 5,000 miles. My car has 100,000 miles. I have a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon FX STOCK. I recommend Regular.. don't waste your money on Premium gas. don't listen to anybody who tells you premium is good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Premium does nothing. Except it has some extra detergents in it sometimes, which can help clean things. But the fuel itself does nothing for your car...

I get about between 28 and 35 miles per gallon, depending on type of driving and style it's done in. You can get better milage by making sure everything is clean, filters are changed, and you don't use a heavy throttle. Keep the acceleration gradual, the pedal barely depressed, and stay below about 60-ish. Make sure your tires are inflated well too.

Lots of topics about how to improve milage. ^.^ But a key thing is a steady pace, slow accel, and staying at a fairly low speed. Remember, for every bit extra speed you get, the more wind resistance you have, and the more gas you burn just to overcome it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bullshit,, Premium does not have extra detergents. its all a marketing Scheme

·
Registered
48 Posts
premium is for FI vehicles no ther reason to put it in there, just buy gas from a good gas station.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Umm...well i dunno what Im doing right.
I have a "Bone Stock" 98 2.0 5 spd and get 44mi./g in Canada, equivalent 35 mi./us gal.
I run 0w-30 Castrol GTX "german" and Mobil 1 gear oil in my tranny.
Im a fanatic of having proper tire pressure
I keep clean filters, new plugs prior to winter season, new plug wires.
I drive mostly 100~105 km/h. My drive to work is 100 kms.

Korean_Redneck, are you the same dude over on BITOG?
Im Rev440 over there.

Furochan - Join BITOG, learn about fuels/oils... I agree w/K_R, just marketing scheme.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, some brands I'd heard have additives on the premiums, while their lowest stuff has nothing. Sometimes. From what I've heard. <.< If I heard wrong, then I heard wrong. ^,^ And it's quite possible that the additives dont' actually do anything but market sales. Dunno. o_O Anyhow, yes. Ignore me, listen to the people who know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Originally posted by Dynamo^Joe
[body]
Umm...well i dunno what Im doing right.
I have a "Bone Stock" 98 2.0 5 spd and get 44mi./g in Canada, equivalent 35 mi./us gal.
I run 0w-30 Castrol GTX "german" and Mobil 1 gear oil in my tranny.
Im a fanatic of having proper tire pressure
I keep clean filters, new plugs prior to winter season, new plug wires.
I drive mostly 100~105 km/h. My drive to work is 100 kms.

Korean_Redneck, are you the same dude over on BITOG?
Im Rev440 over there.

Furochan - Join BITOG, learn about fuels/oils... I agree w/K_R, just marketing scheme.
[/body]
Thats Correct, Im Korean_Redneck over at BITOG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts