Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my 02 accent recently stalled out on me and from inspecting the motor i saw that the timing belt slipped a tooth and needs to be replaced. but i need to know if its worth replacing??

i read that since accents are interference motors using a timing "belt" not a chain that the entire engine could be gone if the belt breaks or slips.

any ideas would be great also maybe even a pdf of some diagrams for the install of a new one.

heres the skinny on what exactly happened to the car and what i experienced:

i was entering on the highway and decided to punch it to get up to speed, i have a 5-speed completely stock and shifted into 2nd around 5500 to 6000rpms and then shifted normally after that to reach 70.

the car revved up like a champ and went as fast as it normally does with out any drop or loss of power. as i continued about 3 miles later the throttle begins to stick.

i let off the gas and the engine began slow down, i then stepped on it again and where ever the speed i currently was at including the rpms it remained constant.

but then as i kept my foot on the gas the rpms started to climb and everything seemed normal. i thought maybe an injector was going out or the butterfly was sticking.

i then exited and shifted to neutral letting my rpms go down thinking that the car needed to just chill, thats when it just shutdown. i didnt hear anything odd or feel any jolts or anything.

if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys that helps a lot. i have the DOHC 1.6 model

also i reset timing but i dont know what the leak down test is?? how do you do that?

also its sitting in a shop right now so i ll have more updates later on what they found wrong.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
you can make the tester or buy one. Just need that, the engine, and an air compressor.

Set the piston you want to test to TDC to make sure the valves are shut. Have something or someone keep the engine from rotating. Connect the tester via the spark plug hole. Put 100 psi into the cyl and see how much air escapes. It should be done on a warm engine so you might loose a little bit more air than in a real test, but the advantage to this test (over normal compression testing) is you can listen for the leak. So if you did smash a valve you will be able to hear air escaping into the intake or exhaust manifold.

This is easier IMO than taking the head off to have a look. That or you could just turn it on and see if it runs like crap and/or taps. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts