Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the signs for a timing belt starting to deteriate or would i have to take off the end of the valve cover to see were the cam gear is....if i have to what should i look for and can i run the motor with it off i doubt cuz the valve cover and rockers are exposed kinda idk...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always changed them according to the vheicle milage not so much as wear indication. I would assume that since it is a belt, look for mis-shapen or missing teeth, cracking on the interior,fraying around the edges and excessive glazing.

I dont know about the 2002 engine, but I do know that the 96-99 were interference style motors. So if the belt snapped, the piston would hit the valve and bend everything. If you have to take the valve cover off to check, I would not run the motor unless you feel like taking an oil shower.

·
Registered
354 Posts
he doesnt mean the whole valve cover just the end piece on the passenger side...but yeah you should be fine taking the end piece off and running the engine like that, its just a dust cover

·
Registered
19 Posts
ok. So the timing belt covers on the 02 are the same as my 97 motor then?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts