Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my timing belt to my 2001 accent, all went well at least that is what I thought. Shortly after maybe a week or so my check engine light came on. I took it to get check and everybody keeps telling me it either the timing sensor if bad or my car is out of time. My real qustion is 1) how can I tell if it out of time 2) can I change my sensor on my own 3) should I just take it to dealership? So many question not enough answers.......Please help.....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
TIMING IS CONTROLLED BY THE ECM SO IT IS MOST LIKELY A SENSOR FAILURE (****!ng caps lock) or a loose conection to a sensor. Have the CEL scanned and it will tell you what to look at as far as what sensor is causing the CEL.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
he's saying there is no "timing sensor" the ecm controls the timing based on other sensors such as cam position, crank position, knock, blah etc etc. all of these sensors are easy to replace so take your car to autozone, oreilly, etc and get them to read the CEL. write down the exact code the scanner reads out and then post it back up on here. another possiblility is that you simply didn't get the sprocket lined back up right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help..

First of all thanks for all the help you are giving me:cool: ...I took my car to advance auto parts and they check it out saying, P0342 the camshaft position sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Low Input:confused: I hope this is what you where asking for...If this is the case is it possible for me to do the work? I tried looking for a repair manual on my car and was unable to locate one:( ... Once again thanks for your time with my issues:cool: ....

Misteryinc

·
Registered
737 Posts
camshaft position sensor is in the head right next to your coil packs. shouldn't be hard to replace.

however, your ignition timing is controlled by the computer not your cam timing. If you are a tooth or two off on your timing belt your car wouldn't run very well. So since you aren't complaining about driveability problems I wouldn't think your timing is off. If your car has a stumble around idle though, you may be off a tooth.

·
Registered
737 Posts
shouldn't have any effect

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.