Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put new wheels on my 2008 Sonata but it has the TPMS.I was told I could use wheels without the sensors as long as I put a wheel with the sensor in the trunk so the system has something to read.Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
686 Posts
have somebody install the sensor in the aftermarket wheel, you know you valve stem on the stock wheels, see how its metal? that is your TPMS all they need to do is unscrew it and screw it into the aftermarket wheel.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
yeah, the tpms sensor's can be transferred to another wheel,

most sensor's use a 13mm socket..unscrew the 13mm nut from the sensor to release the sensor from the wheel..

and put the sensor on the new wheel and tighten the 13mm nut back on

also check the rubber o-rings..they have a slight tendancy to dry out and leak air..i work at a goodyear shop and have re-built many tpms sensors..

and tell the tech who's doing the mounting job to be careful with the mounting machine's, they can easily break the sensor if they don't know what they're doing.

tpms sensor's can be around $80 a piece

·
Registered
686 Posts
hey a fellow tire buddy, i'm at discount tire here in las vegas :)

p.s. don't tighten it too tight because that can break the sensor as well, just enough to where the rubber grommet starts bulging a little

1 - 4 of 4 Posts