Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the tires on my 2005 Accent GLS. The stock tire size is 175/70-13. What size tire can I go up to on the stock wheels? I was thinking about 195/60-13. Is that too wide or do you think it could go a little wider?

·
Registered
63 Posts
if youre using stock 13x5 steel wheels, the 195 wide tires might be too wide. tirerack suggests a 6" wheel for a 195 tire, maybe 5.5" in a squeeze:

Tire Specs for Sumitomo HTR 200

i've tried lots of tires on my 1999 accent. 185 look too narrow. 205 look great but risk rubbing (depending on the wheel offset). 195 is probably a good easy compromise of looks and fit, but ideally needs some wider aftermarket wheels.

but in an imperfect world, with a limited budget, i might try some 195/60-13 tires on the 13x5 steelies.

·
Registered
686 Posts
if you put a too wide of tire on a too skinny wheel it causes the tire to wear irregularly and can cause stress cracking real early in the tires life.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've seen excessively wide tires pop off the rim in extreme situations. Still, it's possible. I wouldn't go anywhere above 185.

I have a set of Kumho A/S 795's (175/70R13) with about 1,000 miles on them left from when my Accent was totalled sitting in my garage. $150 + shipping and they're yours...or make an offer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i find the narrower tires are more comfortable for driving.

wide 205 tires look nice, and corner nice, but they tend to track the random grooves in the road surface more, so the car can feel like its wandering/darting around on the highway.

i find narrow tires are more comfortable for straight-line highway driving. and they're probably quieter and give better gas mileage (less contact patch/rolling resistance).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help so far.

I currently have 175/70TR13 Yokohama AVID T4 (Performance All-Season) and they are much better performance wise than what came with the car. Should I stay with those or go with Sumitomo HTR 200 (High Performance Summer)?

If I go with the HTR, what size would be best for performance and fitting on the wheels?

They have these for 175 - 185 13:
175/50HR13
175/70HR13
185/60HR13

1 - 6 of 6 Posts