Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the manual trannies behaving these days? My 98 Tiburon's transmission has always been sloppy and sometimes would give me trouble going into first from a stand still. Even the 2001 version I replaced it with, when the drift pin fell out, did the same thing.

Now that it's 2006 has Hyundai finally improved them? My Tiburon beater got backed into by a snowplow and isn't worth fixing even though it's nice not having high insurance or a car payment.

I'm looking to pick up an 06 Elantra but can't decide between stick or auto. I've seen and heard of too many auto trannies going bad, including the one in my sister's 01 Elantra.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Good question. My 98 accent has always had trouble going in first if the car was moving. Wait, ITS NEVER gone in first while the cars moving LOL. Best to leave it in second gear No matter how slow your going lol

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Theres nothing the matter with my 97, save for if your hitting the rev limmiter in first, and you try and snap shift it you wont get into second.. but thats cause of that stupid spring in the hydro clutch. Go with the stick

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
First gear has no syncro (atleast thats what I was told) so yes its harder to get into when moving. My 2003 still makes noise going into second near redline and has started making a funny whining noise (beleived to be something in the clutch). They are not on par with honda 5spds but they are SOOO much better than hyundai automatics. Look at the TSBs and compare. 23 for my ride on the autos and one for the stick. That had something to do with oil weight. Go 5spd and shave almost a second off your 1/4 times and get better gas milage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, anyone reading this with an 04-06? Surely, after 8 years of R&D Hyunai has learned how to build a manual transmission.

My trans now is just a PITA. Sometimes when shifting frm 3rd to 4th even with a brief pause it will grind. Works great every time if I double clutch it... but I don't want to live in the 60s.

I much prefer the manual over the auto... due to all the problems they have, but now that I'm getting older I'm tired of shifitng... heh heh.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i HAVE AN 03 TIB AND MY WIFE HAS AN 05 ELANTRA. THEY BOTH SHIFT THE SAME. I think they screwed up with it cause it feels a bit weak. But I think its because the shift cables are too long. I think if they had adjustments that I can correct the feel and flow of how it goes in and out of gear...I also think the way the shifter sits has an affect as well. Cable adjustments would be nice!!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Up till I quit working in sales for Hyundai I found that the transmissions were fine. I really liked the 6-speed tranny in the Tiburon. The automatics that they were putting in the Azeras and Sonatas all felt very good.

My 99 Tiburon has never had any problems shifting which is amazing considering the way I drive it. My fiance's 03 Elantra GT 5-speed seems to have the occasional 2nd gear grind that is so common in Civics. Also once in a while it will grind even if I have my foot on the clutch all the way. This is starting to concern me since we just replaced the clutch and machined the flywheel. If anyone has any ideas how to stop this then let me know.:puzzled:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well I've got a 2005.. only has 5k miles on it though.. Haven't had any problems with it.. And I removed the spring in the slave cylinder too.. But if your worried about the tranny it's covered under the 10 yr 100k mile warranty. So if your looking at a new one then it's not a problem.. If it's used then 6/60 kicks in.. I have seen though is the guys with the Tiburons and a six cylinder beating on them and they blow the clutch up... Big mess... Trany seems to hold up ok...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Originally posted by Cottonmouth
[body]
Up till I quit working in sales for Hyundai I found that the transmissions were fine. I really liked the 6-speed tranny in the Tiburon. The automatics that they were putting in the Azeras and Sonatas all felt very good.

My 99 Tiburon has never had any problems shifting which is amazing considering the way I drive it. My fiance's 03 Elantra GT 5-speed seems to have the occasional 2nd gear grind that is so common in Civics. Also once in a while it will grind even if I have my foot on the clutch all the way. This is starting to concern me since we just replaced the clutch and machined the flywheel. If anyone has any ideas how to stop this then let me know.:puzzled:
[/body]
check your fluid level?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wasn't refering to the grinding. I just meant for those trying to change their gears extremely fast as I've seen peers driving their Civics with fast changes.. they would have been better off with a sports performance clutch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I know it doesn't have to do with how fast you can change it, but I noticed when driving a car that had sports clutch and other parts (whether it be flywheel, short shifter, etc. etc.), you could change it a lot faster with a lot more ease.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If I ever have problems shifting or grinding or getting into gear it's because I get lazy with the clutch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm having all of my fluids changed tomorrow morning, including transmission fluid. If I still get that lazy/noisier gear change in the lower gears I will be upset. I just think my fluids needs a change.. cause I doubt the dealership did it for me before I bought it! The oil isn't really dirty, but it was quite dark (definately not new). I will post after tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
hyundai isn't the only one having 1-2nd gear grind problems..

popular names suchs as the acura rsx and the mazdaspeed protege have had grinding problems also..

i just ordered 2 bottles of mt-90 fluid today..

also..when i did my beta swap..the shifter felt more better..i could shift from 5 to 1 while on the highway with no grind..try that with the old alpha engine..you'd grind like crazy.

i have a bad mixture of mobil1 gear oil and lucas gear lube stabilizer in my gearbox..

gotta flush it out..

the 07 elantra's manual is just as bad as the 07 accent SE's shifter..notchy and rubbery...hmm..must have changed suppliers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts