Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed that my car is to bouncy with the oem suspension. if i have more then one person in the back seat if i go over a bump my car will bottom out in the back. is there any suspension mods to prevent this and make the ride stiffer. i hope the answer isn't coil overs because first they are really expensive and two i don't have the equipment to put them in my self so i will need to have someone else put them in for me and that will be way to much.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
What are you driving? Year and model.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ok how old is your car because ussualy if it rides bouncy your struts are shot.

my struts are broken but as long as u get some stiffer springs and new struts u wont bounce.

but for a smooth ride keep it OEM hyundai parts that way if it brakes again they are covered. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i have a 2002 accent gl (the 4 door) i dont think the struts are shot because the car only has 9000 miles on it. and i dont have a warranty because im the second owner so the fact of using oem parts is not a problem. so if there are any suggestions on stiffer struts or springs or shocks or anything elso to fix the problem are appreciated

·
Registered
453 Posts
9000 miles? ON an 02 accent? I'm thinkin that's a typo. Maybe 90000 miles?
I've seen struts go bad at 70000. It depends on what type of material you drive on and rim size. Gravel roads really shorten suspension life. Or too much weight and potholes. I would recommend the kyb gas struts. If your gonna do that you should check into new springs also. Hell why stop there? I'm thinkin springs, swaybars, struts & some 20 inch chromeys.:) Naw seriously though If it bounces the struts are gone.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have 17'' chromies with strut bars and yes i only have 9000 miles on the car. but i think that my rear struts are bad. an old grandma had the car before and she only drove it to church so maybe just from the car sitting there for so many years the struts probably crry singleeated leaks and stuff. ive needed to replace eve hose in the car from rot so maybe the struts blew from leaks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yeah basicaly all hyundais should be riding super smooth but when it rides like a jeep then get it cheacked.
stock strut bars are not know for their durabillity in any car. :D

·
Banned
5,451 Posts
Do you want a stock height, or do you want to lower it? If you want stock height....you can get just OEM struts from any suspension shop (Midas, Monro, etc...) and have them bought & installed for a couple hundred.

If you want to go aftermarket, you can get a good set of KYB's off ebay for a couple hundred. You and a friend could install them in a weekend with basic tools, or have a shop do it pretty cheaply.

If you want to lower the car and give it a more sporty look and feel, get a small basic drop like Eibach (around a 1.5" drop after settling), with some KYB's. You could get a set of both springs and struts for around $400 total. If you and a friend install them....it'll cost you a case of beer and maybe some tool rental fee's from a local auto parts place. Otherwise a shop would probably charge you between 200 and 400 for install.

Oh yeah, and depending on where you're located at...you could find a forum member to help you out with the install. I know there's quite a few Accent owners on Hyundai Aftermarket who have installed suspension components themselves. So finding someone in your area shouldnt be too difficult to help throw in new springs and/or struts. :) Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts