Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Change your PCV Valve yearly,

Changing this will stop blow by gases that escape from cylinders and up into the crank case from staying in your crank case. The PCV valve allows the gases to escape the crank case and go back into the intake manifold. These usually get blocked after time from not being changed and will keep the harmful gases(blow by) from the cylinders in your crankcase where your camshaft is. After time it could cause sludge and other side effects decreasing the performance of your engine.

PVC Valve on the 2001-07 Accents are usually easy to get at and takes no more then 10mins to change. It is located on the valve cover near the middle towards the firewall. It screws in on the valve cover, and a hose goes on it from the pcv valve to the intake.

Change Fuel Filter Yearly

Your fuel filter filters out any dirt and debris in your gas lines before it hits your engine. If not changed it can decrease your gas mileage and cause poor engine performance from debris clogging up the filter not allowing the proper flow of gas to go through.

Fuel filter on 2000-02 accents are usually located under the back seat of your car. Simply press in two clips on both sides of the bottom seat and unbolt the back bolts holding the bottom seat in place, Then you should see a access panel open the panel and you will see the top of your gas tank with you fuel filter and fuel pump in front of you. Be careful taking off the fuel filter as it has fuel in it and could get all over the place.

Change oil every 5000kms with oil filter

using conventional is great, except it does break down over time from rapid heating and cooling, along with friction and movement from the engine. Your oil has to be changed along with your filter at the most ever 5000kms, Poor oil will create poor performance on your engine and could cause it to not last very long.

Not very complex to find, both oil pan and fuel filter are very accessible to get at and you can change it from a jack

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Note that the fuel filter location shown is also true for the 03-05 Accents. When removing fuel filter always pull the fuel filter fuse and attempt to start the car to relieve fuel pressure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have an 05 accent hatch and i just removed the rear seat and removed the panel and i dont see the fuel filter, just the top of the fuel pump????

·
Registered
124 Posts
this is an old debate, only a few of the LC2s have a filter that is changeable, most have it built into the pump, hence the reason a fuel pump is $300+ to buy. my 04 accent has no changeable filter. been down that road, and have pics here somewhere on a backup dvd that shows no filter...

hhhmmm wonder if i can find those....
i'll post them if i can find them

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
now really, how bad does the fuel filter get before it needs to be replaced? Theoreticly there should be no case in wich dirt gets into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for the info but that looks like it's beyond my patience level, i'll just get it done at 60k service, there are local garages that change plugs,fuel filter and coolant along with oil change for $120-$130

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
yeah I should prolly change mine out too then...Im at 75k and havnt changed it yet...

·
Registered
99 Posts
i changed my fuel filter in my x3 at 150k kays and we cut it up to have a look
the outer layer of cardboard had a fine layer of silt on it in parts that was it

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. use synthetic oil (i use 5w30) for better gas mileage and better overall perforamnce.

2. change spark plugs every 3 or 4 oil changes, ngk iridium or platinum.

3. short ram intake is the best, i custom made my own intake and put a k&n cone filter on and get super better throttle response and i took out all the ristritors on the intake.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
i think you guys should also be checking out the maintenance schedule in your owners manual as well. according to hyundai the fuel filter should be replaced every 84,000km or 42 months. i don't know about you guys but i don't drive that much in a year, so its probably going to be around every 3-4 years for me. there's not much point in doing excessive maintenance.

oil changes are well worth it, but not before the 5000km mark. you can go further just fine as well, even the maintenance schedule specifies 12,000km for regular duty - but down to the 5000km for heavier use. i run the synthetic as well and so far great stuff. i also change it every 7500km due to the fact that it is synthetic as well. still staying within hyundai's spec for regular oil.

the PCV valve is worth looking at once a year, but i don't agree with outright replacement. its just a check valve with a light spring, so some carb cleaner should be more than enough to keep it going a bit longer.

sappysport215, you're wasting your plugs changing them that often. its completely unnecessary. hyundai spec for *copper* plugs is 48,000 kms or every 24 months. at that point you could even clean the plugs with a wire brush and regap them (do not try with platinum or iridium though).

platinums are good to about 180,000kms which is why many manufacturers use them from stock - they are actually less efficient than copper (higher electrical resistance) but the low maintenance factor pays off. HOWEVER they can *sometimes* cause the engine to run slightly rougher unless it is designed for them.

iridiums are like a even better platinum plug, but they are rather expensive. in the end its good 'ol copper for me and i've been quite happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts