Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"touch free" car wash knocked a chunk of paint off my bumper! Warrantee??! '06 tib

Well, I've had this car for not even a month now (second owner) and I thought I'd run it through the car wash to knock some of the heavy junk off it..

Well I went somewhere else afterwards and as I walked back to my car I noticed a big black streak in the upper radiator inlet on the front bumper... I touched it and realized it was actaully the absence of paint! A few inches long and less than an inch wide.

I had never noticed anything wrong with the paint in that area. It would be more understandable if maybe there was a slight fracture in the paint already, but there wasn't. There were a few stone chips around the bottom of the bumper that I had never noticed until I was installing an intake the other day.. But even that shouldn't lead to something like this. At least not on a car that has only been assembled for a year and a half...

Anybody have any advice on handling a warrantee issue such as this? I am the second owner but it is within 3 years and I believe the 'new car' 3/36 should still be in effect.. only 20,500 miles.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Don't think that would be a warranty item. You don't know if that was repainted? It sounds like it was at one point.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paint defects are covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mi 'new car' warranty.. read the info supplied with the car about it.

If paint fades or FLAKES THE **** OFF within 3 years, thats pretty shitty, so I sure as hell hope they do something about it.

I guess there is the off chance that a one-owner car with no accident history and 20,000 miles on it has had the front bumper repainted.. but its pretty slim.

This stuff happens sometimes. I work for a private aircraft service company and we do warranty claims for Cirrus (4 person composite aircraft). We had to totally repaint a brand-new aircraft because the paint was coming off. If something doesn't work out right in a particular incidence, paint can suck on 'plastic' pieces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts