Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was driving down the street and all of the sudden my trans started making a loud roaring sound and it sounded like there were pots and pans flying around inside followed by a ton of smoke. I guess one of my seals broke on my axle, and that where all of the smoke was coming from. I guess what I'm wondering though, Has this ever happened to anyone else? and was your trans salvageable afterward? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think that it would be cheaper and faster to get one from a junk yard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that it's a 1997 tiburon Fx, and it's a manual. I don't have any pictures, but I can explain it a little better. The seal right where the axle goes into the transmission on the passenger side went out and leaked fluid. Now it feels like there are no positions except neutral, but I'm guessing that is because there is no fluid in the trans. I think replacing the seal would be cheaper than finding a trans at the yard. First of all there are none in the state of Illinois, and secondly, the only trans' I can find are $900 with shipping. Seals are only $18, and I already have the axle removed. I do all of the work myself. I was just wondering if anyone had lost all of their fluid, then replaced it so I would know if it is salvageable. Once the car stopped, I didn't try to move it, so I'm hoping there is no permanent damage. I think I'll just take my chances and if it doesn't work, I'll just sell my tibby.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You have a lot bigger problems than a bad seal. A manual transmission should shift and operate without oil. Do you see any metal particles in the remaining oil? I am guessing that there was some sort of major failure that blew out the seal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it does shift, but only when the car isn't running. I was actually able to move it a little so I could tow it. I just had to put the car into gear before I started it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
rocconi is correct, MT's will still shift if there is oil in them or not. Now if your car will not shift while running, then you have other issues that new oil and a seal will not fix.

how well does your clutch work right now? I'm going to say pretty bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hyundaiFixer said:
rocconi is correct, MT's will still shift if there is oil in them or not. Now if your car will not shift while running, then you have other issues that new oil and a seal will not fix.

how well does your clutch work right now? I'm going to say pretty bad.

OK, I bled my slave cylinder and I can now shift even though there is no fluid present in the transmission. There was no fluid loss in the clutch cylinder, but bleeding it worked, which means there must be a small hole somewhere in the hydraulic system. I'm still wondering what seal blew because I have no fluid in the trans. I tried to move the car, but the clutch is slipping like crazy. I'm thinking because the clutch is soiled with fluid, but not sure. I talked to a Hyundai Tech, he said if it was an internal seal, fluid wouldn't leak. I'm not sure what to believe. Any ideas?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no teeth, it's a bearing, just not sure which one. There is probably only one it could be. I'm thinking it's either the output shaft bearing or the differential bearing. the rollers from the bearing actually fell out of the bottom of the trans. I'll know next weekend for sure. thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts