Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys quick question that I have been wondering about I recently got a 2004 Hyundai tiburon base not the gt and I noticed that while trying to go higher speeds I’m around 3-4K rpm I wanna get that down a little bit and I know they make a 6 speed a couple years newer for the 2.0L engine I think in the velositer and Elantra if I am correct is this trans interchangeable and if not what would be a different trans I can swap into my car to get my 5th gear rpm lower while cruising at higher speeds

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys quick question that I have been wondering about I recently got a 2004 Hyundai tiburon base not the gt and I noticed that while trying to go higher speeds I’m around 3-4K rpm I wanna get that down a little bit and I know they make a 6 speed a couple years newer for the 2.0L engine I think in the velositer and Elantra if I am correct is this trans interchangeable and if not what would be a different trans I can swap into my car to get my 5th gear rpm lower while cruising at higher speeds
Did you get any feedback on this? I'm doing the same search for '01 tiberon for the same reasons. Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get any feedback on this? I'm doing the same search for '01 tiberon for the same reasons. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Hey so basically I have done some research and some looking into it a bit of a newer 6 speed transmission will directly bolt onto the engine and work all you would have to do is swap the cv shafts as the input shaft for the trans is different but I don’t exactly know which trans it is that will directly bolt on I narrowed it down to 2 or 3 different models but that was a while ago I’ll see if I can pull it all up again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interested in this as I have a 2000 Elantra (J2) that I'd love to swap a 6 speed in.

If you go back YEARS you can find discussions on this - there actually was a 6spd made in Korea that mated to the Beta2 engine, however getting it stateside was around $5,000 if I recall. I couldn't even find a make/model of the transmission that would fit.

I'd say at this point it's been 15 years or so since those discussions, so that would be fantastic if there is a 6 speed that keeps the RPMs down in 6th gear. The alternative (at least, for me) is to get a 5 speed from a XD and throw it in my J2 and in 5th it should save about 500 RPMs... which wouldn't be too bad. That would put me around 3K at 80MPH.

Definitely interested to see where this goes, changing the axles isn't a huge deal as long as the splines fit the factory knuckles - if they don't then you'd have to get new knuckles and you'd have to worry about everything on the suspension lining up.

Anyway, if you find something please feel free to post - if it's feasible I'd 100% do this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts