Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Tiburon and recently i have started to get a horible vibration. I have new cv axles and new tires so those possibilities are out. The odd thing that it does do is, when i am making a right turn it is completely smooth. When i make a left turn or go straight it vibrates enough to rattle the dash. Is there a bearing in the transaxle that could cause this problem or is it possibly the gears? By the way it is a manual 5 speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also is there a possibility that it may be a wheel bearing? I am suspecting that the noise is coming from the right side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where do you feel it coming from? the steering wheel? the shift knob? the seat? feeling where it's coming from should help in finding the cause, or at least get you close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feels like it is vibrating through the whole body of the car. It is the roughest around 30 MPH and smooths out more as you increase speed. It basically sounds like a truck with big biased ply tires at low and highway speeds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I guess it should either be a bushing, balljoint, or suspension component, or something with the transmission. Check all of your suspension components, tie-rods, engine and transmission mounts, and anywhere that has some kind of rubber mounting. Otherwise try putting a heavier weight synthetic oil in your trans. Its hard when I'm not in the car, but I was experiencing a helicopter noise when I was driving, and soon after, here I am replacing my trans.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Same thing happened to my buddy's protege. The culprit: A blown shock. We changed the shock and it's OK now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Any reason why the noise would go completely away when i am making either a slight or full right hand turn? Also all ball joints, steering rod ends and mounts are ok. At highway speeds it sounds just like big mud tires, kind of a low pitch hum that changes up and down and is consistant.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My friends civic has been doing the same thing for like 2 years. but its his back left tire and it never goes away. But we cant figure out why.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
dailydriver said:
Any reason why the noise would go completely away when i am making either a slight or full right hand turn? Also all ball joints, steering rod ends and mounts are ok. At highway speeds it sounds just like big mud tires, kind of a low pitch hum that changes up and down and is consistant.
Yeah, because it's tire or suspension related, and when you make the turn you either move or shift the weight on whatever is causing it. Just because something is new doesn't mean to rule it out. Of the 4 "new" tires I put on my Durango, one was shaped like an egg, causing a dangerous amount of vibration at about 65 mph.

Check the obvious, there is a wheel bearing in there. Don't rule out a bad CV or tire either. Tires are tricky, and an inexperienced installer may just throw it on a balancing machine and call it good when it comes back as balanced. My tire needed to be road force tested at highway speeds in order to see the deformation of my tire. It went in 3 times before I finally got someone who knew what they were doing...yet it balanced on the machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should not be tires, because it was doing it with the old tires i had on and the new ones i just installed. Same with the CV axles, same with the old axle's as with the new ones.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My guess is that the right front wheel bearing is NG. When you make a right hand turn there is no weight on the right side and the noise would stop. Jack up the car and shake the wheel. You should feel no play in the bearing at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rocconi said:
My guess is that the right front wheel bearing is NG. When you make a right hand turn there is no weight on the right side and the noise would stop. Jack up the car and shake the wheel. You should feel no play in the bearing at all.

Just went out and checked my right and left sides. Left side no play at all. Right side does have some play when i grab it in the 2 and 8 positions. I guess i will be buying a new bearing and pressing it in. Will let you guys know if this fixes the probem. Thanks for all who helped.

What type of trans oil do you guys recomend putting in. Sometimes, even since new 2nd gear grinds or is slow to go in gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pressed in my new bearing today. Just like new again, with no vibrations or odd noises.:) Also put in Redline MT-90 gear oil, already shifts better just installing it.

My old bearing did not look as bad as i thought it would for the amount of vibration it was causing. Basically all the grease on the inner part of the bearing was solid and the plastic ball bearing retainer was melted slightly. There was no galling on the race like i expected to see. Oh well, it's fixed now. Thanks for all of you who helped diagnose the probem.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts