Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the engine in my 1997 Tiburon. My buddy tore the engine out, and separated it from the transmission. I put the flywheel on as well as all parts of the clutch. Now I'm trying to mate the transmission to the engine, but when I do so I notice that the two do not bolt up. Many of the areas of the transmission have no area to bolt to the engine. I was wondering if anyone would have pictures or a diagram with all of the included parts surrounding the main transmission. I found a guard that mounts to the bottom under the flywheel, but there are still many parts that don't have a location to mate to on the engine. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
how about you take pics, and i will do my best to help you. i just did my accent trans about 2 months ago. and i can tell you what is what. i wish i could give you a better reply

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are several pictures of my engine and transmission. It's kind of hard to see what I'm talking about, but I did my best. By the way, this is only so difficult because I was not the one who took everything apart. I really hope I'm not missing any parts.

Here is a picture of the fywheel side of the engine with the new clutch installed. I also installed the flywheel off the old engine on this engine. The red arrow points to a gasket that looks like it goes behind the flywheel. However, I'm a little scared that it will rub the flywheel since it's not entirely straight. Maybe it will be when I bolt the engine and tranny together.

Here is a picture of the above gasket and some others that I don't think go to my engine.

The picture below is of the transmission with the throw out bearing on the fork

The image below is of the transmission with the gasket in place

The red arrow below is of the guard that looks like it bolts to the bottom of the engine. I noticed that there is a hole in the bottom of it. Is it okay to have open areas between the transmission and engine?

This picture has a red circle around one of the area's I was talking about. This is the side opposite the shaft inputs and starter.

The picture below shows the gaps without the starter.

The image below has red circles around the area's where there are gaps even after the starter is installed.

This image below shows the engine and transmission together.

I know it kind of looks like the two may bolt up without large gaps, but I've tried it many times and I'm certain they will not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, my car is a 1997 2.0 tiburon fx, and I am putting a 1999 2.0 tiburon engine in my car. As far as I know the 1997 and 1999 engines are exactly the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your help man. Are you saying that the gasket is the only thing that fills those gaps? It does kind of make sense, but it seems like there wouldn't be enough places to fit bolt the transmission and engine together tightly. Also, there are holes for bolts in the gasket where there are gaps, and it doesn't seems like you can bolt a gasket to just the transmission. Finally, I don't need the other two gaskets that were lying on the floor do I? If so I'm not sure where they would go.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
those 'gaskets' need to be bolted to the block before the flywheel is installed. theyre held on by little 10mm bolts. then once the tranny is installed the bottom piece that you mentiond which has a hole in it needs to go on. the hole is there in case water or oil or anything gets in with the clutch, so it can drain out the bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts