Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today driving home from school my shifter begins to feel funny, really sloppy and then i'm slowing down and put it into second, or what i thought was second and it sputtered like i had never changed from fourth, so then I begin to get worried, and i'm noticing now that i can move my shifter in circles and nothing happens, so make a long story short, its stuck in fourth i manage to get home by running mutiple stop signs (I did look both ways and would of just stopped and been stranded if someone was coming, so i'm not just a jerk) and i check the shifter moves the linkages on the tranny, but it seems like it doesn't select a gear, its still in 4th like if i let the clutch out it tries to go, but i can't put it in any other gear.. any suggestions???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Danath:

The ONLY Prob I EVER had with my 2000 was just as you described.
First check the assembly between shifter and top to tranny.
Note position of knobby thing on top of tranny, Move shifter to diff gear. If knobby thing on tranny did not move then,

The shifter assembly inside the transmission broke.

I was under warranty they just gave me a new tranny

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The knobby thing on the transmission still moves but it doesn't go into any gear. that what i noticed first how there was no seperation between gears like i could put it in "first"and slit it all the way across to 5th without having to pull it down at all.. its just aggrivating because i just bought new tires for winter.. and now it looks like i won't even be able to drive it for a while..
Although i'm looking at this one of two ways, yea this sucks and they want 250 for a 1.5 transmission but the same place also said 500 bucks for a Elantra engine and transmission with the wireing harness and the ECU so i'm thinkng this just might push me into my swap.. although I don't know if i'm up to the task of doing it myself, and with paying for school if i will have the money to have someone else do it for me.. so we shall see... But if anyone else has some suggestion PLEASE post

·
Registered
158 Posts
Damn typed that wrong. Move shifter and knobby moves then prob is deep in tranny.
Move shifter and knobby doesnt move it is the linkage.

Sorry

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, thats alright. well **** me then because that sucks my warranty ran out, so now its for me to take it upon myself to fix it. well that sucks... :dead: Thanks alot for all the help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts