Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done/heard of a swap from the 4-speed auto transmission to a 6-speed transmission? I just picked up an 03 Tiburon GT for a pretty decent deal, and it came with the automatic shift-tronic setup. As far as the little interior mods that would need to be done, like adding the clutch and gear gates, does it go with the engine with no problems?

·
Registered
256 Posts
i think you misunderstand the difference in the auto and stick models you will need shifter cables shifting linkage weld/buy a clutch pedal transmission clutch flywheel alot of downtime to do this swap i would recomend doing some reading before trying this swap you might get lucky and find a wrecked tib in the scrap yard but a 6 spd trans goes for arround $1000 i would recomend that you don't try this on your own without having done this swap before otherwise it is going to come out looking like crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lucid_dreams said:
i think you misunderstand the difference in the auto and stick models you will need shifter cables shifting linkage weld/buy a clutch pedal transmission clutch flywheel alot of downtime to do this swap i would recomend doing some reading before trying this swap you might get lucky and find a wrecked tib in the scrap yard but a 6 spd trans goes for arround $1000 i would recomend that you don't try this on your own without having done this swap before otherwise it is going to come out looking like crap.
I wouldn't say I misunderstand the difference... I was just wondering if any engine mods, i.e. anything preceding the flywheel. Down time isn't a problem, and I wouldn't be doing this myself... it's too much for me so it'd be done at a shop. The problem is I'm having a hard time coming across this reading you mentioned, so I figured I'd ask in here for some information.

$1,000 wouldn't be too hard to pay considering what I actually spent on the car to begin with

Thanks a lot for the input, lucid_dreams.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
He is right. I'm finishing up my autotragic to manual swap today. I also had 2 other people help me. This project was almost completed in a day, but we took a long time trying to get the auto tranny out of the car. I strongly recommend that you use a lift. The reason why is the auto tranny was so hard to drop to the ground. Just getting the auto tranny out took about 4 hours, then we decided to grind the bellhousing away and it dropped. good luck with the swap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GLaccent: did you run into any problems besides getting the auto trans out? I'm glad I'm not the only one with the swap idea. I'll definitely keep the bellhousing grinding in mind. Thanks a lot bro.

·
Registered
9 Posts
transmission questions

hey i have a 03 tib with the 5 speed man. and i can not find a 6 speed for the 4 cylinder and want to change it due to the high rpm on the interstate. please let me know if anyone know anything about the trannys.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hyundai never made a 6spd for the 4cyl

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
lucid_dreams said:
hyundai never made a 6spd for the 4cyl
not true. in korea, hyundai released a bulletproof 6 speed tranny for the I4 GK. It can be imported if you know the right people.

NASTY03TIBURON - If interested, i can give you the contact info of the person that can get it for you.

fursieken - i do know people that have completed the swap from auto to 6 speed. its not nearly as hard as you would think. you dont grind any bellhousing either. GLaccent only did that because he did not let the lower subframe down. in the accents, you can slip the manual tranny thru w/out lowering the subframe. what u would need is access to a junk car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, sorry about the revival of an old thread but my question pertains to this topic so I'd rather add to this one than start a new one.

My buddy has a 03 automatic 4-cyl Tiburon and his tranny blew out for some unknown reason last night, so I'm trying to find out if it would be better for him to fix his sport automatic or swap in a 5-speed or 6-speed manual. Does anyone have any experience on what this project would require besides the tranny itself? Does he need new axles or are they the same as automatic ones? Can the ECU be simply swapped plug-n-play style from manual to his auto or is that not possible?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where can I get a 7 speed manual for 04 accent
not true. in korea, hyundai released a bulletproof 6 speed tranny for the I4 GK. It can be imported if you know the right people.

NASTY03TIBURON - If interested, i can give you the contact info of the person that can get it for you.

fursieken - i do know people that have completed the swap from auto to 6 speed. its not nearly as hard as you would think. you dont grind any bellhousing either. GLaccent only did that because he did not let the lower subframe down. in the accents, you can slip the manual tranny thru w/out lowering the subframe. what u would need is access to a junk car.
[/QUOT where can I find this 6 speed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts