Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i'm a noob when it comes to turbo's... what do the trim sizes mean? like a .50 trim upgrade on an srt-4 owns evo's and s/c cobra's big time. i think i may have made a huge mistake and bought a turbo thats too big (.57 trim). if so would there be any way for me tog et it to spool sooner like around 3k rpm if i did decide to use this turbo?

·
Registered
842 Posts
i believe trim can refer to intake and exhaust sides... (not 100% sure) but do you have more info about the turbo like an e-bay listing or specs?

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess my main question is "is this too big?" or can i still use it and just make it able to spool quicker at lower rpm's

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
thats a pretty fvckin big turbo for an accent.. i would have gone with a t3 super 60trim which i will have for sale very soon with IC and IC piping.. (you could modify IC piping to fit)

the t3/t4oe is probably too big unless you plan on high horsepower. to get it to spool at a lower rpm, a good electronic boost controller can control when itll spool to a certain extent, ask omgbossis he has that controlability on his.

like my turbo is smaller but its a 60trim for quicker spool/more power than a lower trim t3 turbo.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
i dont think that turbo is going to be too big. i dont see spooling by 3 though.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
well its not TOO big, but itll take a while to spool, and a smaller turbo will give alot better results out of an accent.

unless you want a 350-375whp accent then you wont use the potential of that turbo.. therefore, a smaller turbo like the t3 super 60 would be better.

all depends on your goals..

[Edited by 01IMPORTSHARK on Nov 15, 2005 5:37 AM]

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Did you read the compressor map for that turbo vs. your engine? If you do get it to spool by 3000rpms you could cause it to surge :ermm: I was doing some research for a possible project when I get back, but using a 1.5 SOHC. The t3 super 60 put me very very close to surge with the pressure ratio I am after if I managed to obtain that much boost anywhere close to 3k.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, importshark, lemme know some prices for that turbo and IC piping, i have an FMIC already.

what is surge?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
That turbo is pretty big for a 1.5.... Depends what your looking for powerwise. If you use that turbo and run impressive numbers street drivability will not be nice... I do run a electronic boost controller which helps to get a turbo spooling sooner or later (based on your settings). As soon as i fix my vacuum problems Im going back to the track with little to no boost in first, Im getting outta the hole damn it!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Oh yeah, you have the 1.6 :hmmm: Still a big turbo I believe... Check the compressor maps.... Just looked at some info for it, good for high performance 4cyl and 6cyl engines.... How low you take compression will play a role in spool up time ....

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea its big. i plan on running stock comp for right now.. not going over 10psi. well it was a turbo for a good price, so imma work with it and make it run like hell (if i dont get nate's turbo, although i thought he blew the seals on it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts