Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never cleaned my injectors, MAF, and 02 Sensor before.

I'd like to do this as i'm having some air/fuel mixture problems.

Can anyone tell me how I can go about cleaning them?
also, how to remove all three. ( I noticed the MAF needs a special allen key with a hole in the middle, the rest I simply don't know how to remove.)

also, what sp wires does everyone have? i'm looking to get 8.8m+ but I can't seem to find any.

All help greatly appreciated ;):

·
Registered
281 Posts
well, to remove the o2 sensor you put a box end wrench on there, spray the hell out of it with pb blaster, heat it up with a torch, and use a breaker bar (ie, its probably uber tight). then throw it away, and install new ones. next onto the maf sensor. easiest way to get that off, is to dremel some slots in it and use a flathead, if you dont have the proper torx bit, then just replace it with some normal screws. once you get it off, spray it down with some carb cleaner (dont get the cleaner on the o rings, they will stretch).

now just go ahead an pull the throttlebody, since your in there anyways. its gonna be hella dirty, so spray it down with carb cleaner. its straight forward to remove, just unbolt it. now that you have that off, your gonna unbolt the fuel rail (make sure to take the gascap off first). unbolt the banjo bolt to bleed the fuel pressure and then remove it all the way. remove the return line. now pull the fuell rail straight up parrallel to the injectors, you dont wanna wiggle it if you dont have to. some of the injectors will probably stay on the rail, and some will probably stay in the manifold. just pop them all out (i can remeber if hyundai injectors have screens in them, they may or may not). ok, now, pull all the o-rings off the injectors. you need to go to the dealer and order the injector rebuild kit (comes with the o-rings and spacers). now, heres where it gets fun. your gonna want a 9 volt battery, some electrical tape, a football airpump, about 8 inches of wire, and some carb cleaner (in a can!). ok, first suck some carb cleaner into the airpump, (with the needle thingie attached), and attach the wires to the 9 volt battery. now attach those wires to the fuel injector (check the polarity by looking at the injector plug) now spray the carb cleaner into the hole of the injector, (make sure you are in a WELL ventelated area, and you dont point it at your face. this is ****ing dangerous! no open flames either!) do that several times. then reverse it and do it through the other side. do that for all four injectors, then let them soak in the carb cleaner. now, while your at it, go ahead and spray the inside of the intake manifold down with carb cleaner too, its gonna be a ****ing mess in there. let the injectors sit overnight, and then bolt everything back together. make sure the fuel line is tight.

while you had it all apart did you replace the fuel filter? you should have, cause it probably needed it. dont lose the copper gaskets! reset the ecu real fast (unplug neg batt cable for 30 seconds) now, turn the ignition key to on (dont start the car!), and let it sit for a few seconds. get out of the car and check for fuel leaks. no leaks? awsome! start the car! let it idle for 2 mins without touching the gas while the ecu relearns the idle. it will probably not have started right away from all the carb cleaner in the manifold, and its probably idling funny. dont worry, just let it run.

now, drive it around for a bit. go to the parts store, and buy some seafoam. go home, and leave the engine running, disconnect the brake vacume hose and dip it in the can of seafoam. let the motor suck all that stuff up (cant hydrolock, dont worry). then shut the motor off and let it sit for 20 or 30 min. now restart. probably hard to start. get her started and then drive it like you stole it to get the carbon out of the combustion chamber.

As for wires... thats up to you. if you wanna buy pretty 8.5mm wires and quadrublefire unobtanium plugs, thats your business. personally i think until you make enough compression/boost to make the stock coils ineffective, theres no point in upgrading the wires and plugs to super expensive ones.

And that my friends, is how i do tuneups. i'm sure i missed some small stuff, its 3AM and i have the worst toothache of my life, but if you have a FSM (factory service manual) or even a crappy haynes/chiltons you will be fine. if you dont have one, go buy one now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts