Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is it that makes a bov sound different .... I mean why do some go "ptshhhh"
and outhers go "dididiw"
Is it to do with boost pressure or different bov's
From what I can imagine it would be the bov:hmmm:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by daihard
[body]
what is it that makes a bov sound different .... I mean why do some go "ptshhhh"
and outhers go "dididiw"
Is it to do with boost pressure or different bov's
From what I can imagine it would be the bov:hmmm:
[/body]
the 2nd sound you describe is usually not a BOV, but its a result of the BOV not doing its job correctly. That sound is the sound of boost being pushed back against your compressor wheel when you close the throttle because the BOV didn't let the pressure out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sence if the valve is shuddering bouncing the air back and forth ....well stop and forth anyways but then this would mean world class rally cars would be runing with insuficient presure release as this is where i here it most:puzzled:
thank you for your post its given me food for thought, and what does a dual stage bov do? does it just allow a small amount pressure release and if/when necessary open right up to allow even more airflow through it. cause I thaugt mabe this was what caused, it but i realy have no idea....just a stab in the dark!

·
Registered
176 Posts
is that why some high hp cars have dual bovs?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
fluttering is sometimes frmo an external wastegate or compressor surge, the louder the pshhh all depends if its to the atmosphear or revented, which bov your using and how many pounds of boost your running. My bov allways sounds different when i turn the boost up or down or if the car is runnig funny or richer or leaner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts