Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

Trying to get some opinions and insight into which method I should use for an oil feed for the upcoming turbo installation.

The car in question is an X3 Excel/Accent and I wish to retain the OEM oil pressure switch in the block and add to this an oil pressure gauge and turbo feed. So:

Firstly an option is this brass adapter I found on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8038931719&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI

The second option is the sandwich plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-FILTER-SANDWICH-PLATE-FOR-GAUGES-OIL-LINES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33613QQitemZ8038844674

Is one of these better over the other in terms of oil supply for a turbo? Will the oil sender block location be better as it’s going to allow gravity to assist with the oil delivery?

I’d prefer to use the Sandwich plate idea, but my concern is the fact that it’s location will be low on the engine. But in saying this, if the oil pressure is going to be enough, then I am happy to run the turbo’s oil feed from this plate

Thank you for any words of advice.

Happy motoring :)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I cant speak from experience with a sandwich plate but I know some people use it to run their oil intercooler and take their oil for the turbo there. I took mine from the oil pressure sending unit but it proved to be a bit of a pain. That tee would work nice but cant be fit directly into the block. Reason being is their is no clearance for anything so you have to find a piece that extends from the block a little to make clearance for everything. Once you do that its smooth sailing =-)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Yup!........the sandwich plate between the block & oil filter is for an oil-cooler & all the units I`ve seen have had large-bore threading to suit this application.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
whatever you do, dont stick a long extention out of ur stock oil pressure sensor using a brass fitting, it will snap right off. Ive had so many oil feed and return line problems it isnt even funny, always do it right the first time, i would prolly use a sandwitch plate if i bought one because my feed line still leaks a bit because teflon paste and tape breaks down from the heat and starts to leak.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i am using a sandwich plate to feed my turbo and also run to an oil cooler. Never had any oil issues with the turbo in last 18 months.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Awesome, I was wondering how I was going to do this. Seeing the options I think I will go w/ that sandwich plate, because the four prong adapter thing looks fragile.

I was planning on plumming new lines for everything, but fab work get's old.

[Edited by XericRally on Feb 19, 2006 4:51 PM]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi People,

Thanks heaps for your replies !!! Omg: yes, I thought there might be clearance issues from the oil sender feed location.... there is a small pipe next to the block that seems to be a problem.

I really like the sandwich plate design... thanks Somefreak for your input there, so I guess this is the winner in this instance looks to be the Sandwich plate.

I'll still look to this thread to see if other opinions are added before handing over the $$$'s for the final choice.

Thanks again and happy motoring :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I used the brass t-adaptor from Autozone. I just got a smaller pipe nipple to come out of the block and not go as far out. I run the stock oil sensor, Autometer oil pressure gauge, and the feed for the turbo. I did have a bit of an issue adapting the hardline for the oil feed to the oil restrictor, but Autozone had and an adaptor behind the counter.

Pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
where can i get that sandwitch plate from?

nevermind the honda sandwitch plates fit they use the same oil filters as ours

[Edited by ThaSilvaL on Feb 22, 2006 10:48 PM]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts