Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I want to go turbo this time instead of s/c. My question, I have a alpha 1.6 and I was just woundering if it were at all possible to weld a 14b or b16g turbo flange on my stock manifold. I belive it would save a lot on money and would really be convienent not to mention it would rid the car of the restrictive cat. converter. Any input is appricated as always.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not sure of the legals in the u.s but here in aus it ilegal to run without a cat and if u get caught u face bullshit fines :dead:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no laws about it where I am so if it seems like it would work then I am all for it. I do have some fab skills so I figure I could prolly do it myself and save a lot of money.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The biggest problem you face is welding cast iron to steel. It can be done, but you need a lot of amps, and you need to preheat the cast iron to about 450*, do part of the weld, then wrap the whole thing in insulation so it cools very, very, slowly. Even after all of thise, you are still prone to cracking.

It can be done, but it's not as easy as you think. Much easier just to make your own manifold out of weld-els.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easyier but not cheaper. Plus I have friends that own a local welding shop and I dont think they would have a problem.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yeah from what I read it just needs to be really hot to weld it proper. Aot of problems CAN arise from it though like cracking.... Im also not so sure about exhaust flow to the turbo doing that (it will still spool though).... Also if you live in the U.S it is illegal to run without a cat, but as long as they dont do emissions where you live its all good. I run open downpipe, have for 6 months.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could still use a cat, just move it and get a high flow but my city just dropped emmissons so its all good. I just need to decide what I am doing now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts