Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I see nothing but internal wastegated turbos.. would I be able to just take the wastegate off and use an external one? This is prob a normal thing... im just not catching it.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
u have to mod the turbo. i can sell u a non internal one if ya want. but to answer your question, it is common to mod the internal to run external. i'm not sure how to do it myself. i'm sure endless probably knows...

edit- i can also sell u a fmic and a 38mm tial wastegate.

[Edited by thegrim on Jan 10, 2006 6:15 PM]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what type of turbo, shaft play, rebuilt, miles on it, used.. all the lines w/ it? and how much? e-mail me ftwvampftw(nospam)@yahoo.com (remove (nospam) )

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Jan 10, 2006 6:37 PM]

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
its in the for sale forum now. its the same setup i was gonna use on my LC2 when i had it. i was gonna adapt it for my tib, but shyt happens.

http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=71279

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by ftwvampftw
[body]
Ok, I see nothing but internal wastegated turbos.. would I be able to just take the wastegate off and use an external one? This is prob a normal thing... im just not catching it.

[/body]

it all depends on the way the wastegate flapper is mounted to the turbo. You could do as ThaSilvaL says, weld the flapper shut and run the wastegate off of the exhaust manifold. or if its a T3 or T3/T4 type turbo you can run the wastgate off the rear housing. Usually the 5 bolt flanges they have to make a dp for external don't have a hole in it to expose the hole the flapper covers. You can drill a hole in the flange, weld a tube to it and run the wastegate there. Guys with DSM's do this all the time. If I ever find an Accent, I'll be implementing that method on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts