Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is my 2nd time in about 2-4 months that my car got low on oil i am way due for a oil change i know that. But if i keep having to add oil does this mean my car may have a possible leak or its burning oil? im about 6grand miles pass my oil change!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
first off, don't skip on changing your oil, it's the easiest thing to do.

second, my Alpha used to run low on oil a lot. I thought it was burning oil but i noticed there was oil leaking out around the oilcap. Maybe a worn o-ring on it? check first, it'd be a simple fix

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
As oil gets old it looses viscosity, making it easier to get past rings, etc. I have no doubt your engine is consuming oil. If you are really worried about it do a compression check... or spend the 15 bux and change your oil. (if you do it yourself)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i don't know the terms of it but my mom gets every other oil change free for her NF Sonata at the Hyundai dealership if an oil change is something you don't want to bother with

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
I notice my oil holds good for about half the oil change, then I notice the oil PSI gauge (that currently took a ****) is not as high as it was in the beginning. Oil breaks down and goes past the rings (or in my case, the valve stem seals, which I know are bad and allow it to pass) and more gets burned. Adding oil does not help to slow the burning, because it gets diluted real quick. Im on my last 1,500 KM till the next one, so I just keep adding till I change it.

No biggie, you WANT to add oil anyways, lest you end up like the exploding accent that I recently blew up in...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
like i can change the oil myself but dont they do something at the lube/oil changing stations that clean it out better? or do they just drain fill it and change the oil filter like i would? As far as the cap goes i take it the O-ring is what the cap screws into? dont really notice any leakage around there if thats what your talking about. Im hearing some weird noises coming from the belts to though. Boy was it steamin when i took the cap off!! And another thing if my car was burning the oil wouldnt it come out in my exhaust fumes? And how do you change your o2 speed sensor? i think i need a repair manual but i cant find one can somebody post me a link i would appreciate it very much!!

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You have to burn alot of oil before it smokes.

No those stations do the same thing you would at your house.

I am sure you are hearing noises.. your oil is turning into a mix of crap, water, and maybe even a splash of fuel if its really 6k over due.

02 speed sensor? The best manuals are the factory IMO. Cheapest place to get them is ebay when you can find them there.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
First off, good video. Makes things much easier.

Secondly, change your oil. Use an engine flush and follow the directions for that when you go to change the oil. You will have sludge that will not come out unless you flush the engine during your oil change after this many miles.

Clicking between your head and the firewall is your fuel injectors which sounds 100% normal.

Belt noise sounds like one of your accessories has a bearing going out, not belt slippage. I suggest you pull off your A/C and P/S belts one at a time to see if the noise goes away with them disconnected. If so you know which is bad, if not then pull your alternator belt and run the car briefly to see if it's the problem. If none of those help it's time to open up your timing cover because there's a bearing in there going out and you need to hope it's your water pump or timing belt idler pulley. Worst case scenario it could be a cam or crankshaft bearing on the front of the engine going out due to improper oiling.

The oil residue draining from your cam cover looks to me like it could be from when you spilled filling the oil if you've done it a few times. I have never had it stain that darkly from oil spillage but if you spilled a lot and didn't wipe it off it's possible. If you didn't spill that there then your cam cover gasket is leaking. I suggest you clean it up with an engine degreaser and aluminum cleaner to see if the oil comes back.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
get, or make, a new head gasket.

if you can't find one to buy get some silicon and make your own

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Ok, yeah, but that's not the head gasket it's the valve cover gasket. Replacing that's a good idea.

Just wanted to clarify that's what you were thinking and you weren't actually suggesting he replace the head gasket for some reason I'd missed.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I agree with everything 187sks said, other than the spilled oil stuff. IMO thats way to much for a spill... unless you do really weird things with your oil when you are filling it. A valve cover gasket is easy to replace and is not a big deal.

I dunno if i would trust silicon for a head gasket.... valve cover gasket maybe, but i think the head is pushing the limits of gasket maker ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
187sks said:
Ok, yeah, but that's not the head gasket it's the valve cover gasket. Replacing that's a good idea.

Just wanted to clarify that's what you were thinking and you weren't actually suggesting he replace the head gasket for some reason I'd missed.
yeah sorry, misspoke. but wouldn't you guys agree it's the gasket on the valve?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
1 big problem i dont know how to do any of that stuff lol!! I never learned machanics and my money is real low right now!! with what i got now i will go buy a degreaser for my engine block right now and i will try to solve that problem first i never noticed that oil stain so yeah possibly from the spill!! how do i flush the engine ? i will change my oil right now. And as for the gas mileage problem i successfully just changed the spark plugs n spark plug wires cleaned the air filter and added sea foam to my gas tank and crankcase. Now im off to get some degresser and alum cleaner post back please!!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
well i got some black magic engine cleaner can i use that anywhere i on the engine? and it says on the can works best when engine is warm so yeah!! and as for cleaning the battery how do i do that?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Since you added Seafoam to your crankcase I highly suggest you change your oil tonight. I know some people run it for a hundred miles or so before changing it but in your case with oil that old I think it's a bad idea to go too long.

So, you don't know how to do any of these things? I suggest you invest in a factory service manual. In the meantime you can use Hyundai Service Website to find out all the information you will need.

Username: hptuner
Password: Sm9uZXM=

I will walk you through anything you need help with bolt by bolt if necessary but you need enough help here on enough things that I'm hoping you can figure out some of it for yourself with the help of webtech's instructions. Except for replacing things under the timing cover pretty much everything suggested are easy fixes which require very little technical knowhow.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
ereeves116 said:
yeah sorry, misspoke. but wouldn't you guys agree it's the gasket on the valve?
yep, thats a bad valve cover gasket. If you are short on cash get the oil right, then do the gasket later. Unless its pissing oil out you should be ok to drive on it for a short period of time. Just watch for puddles under you and check your oil level often.

The engine flush is stuff in a can. Just follow the directions and you will be good. I like the stuff made by "Gunk"

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
WytchDctr said:
The engine flush is stuff in a can. Just follow the directions and you will be good. I like the stuff made by "Gunk"
Me too. I use the Gunk stuff also. It's pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ok i cleaned the **** off the engine i never found puddles of oil under my car not even a drip. Im thinking now it is from me spillin excessive oil or possibly some sea foam to. I put some belt dressing on my belts and they stopped squeeling and as for oil i got a appointment tomorrow for a free oil change. How much is a this cover your talking about? I seen the engine flush but i was thinkin why do it myself when i can get a free one done right? or do they not put treatment in? Can somebody post a link so i can buy a manual? And the cover i mean valve cover gasket which is the black cover right? the cover that the spark plug cover screws into?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts