Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gentleman, i have a 2.0 Beta I and a 1.8 Beta I. What internal parts should i use with what to make the most power? Because that question is so confuseing, say.. using the 1.8 pistons with the 2.0 rods and the 1.8 crank will have X piston speed and have X compression ratio and have X displacement equaling roughly X horsepower. Does it make sense now?

I want to make it crazy. But for now i will be running the stock ECU. Yeah yeah i know.. i have piggyback fuel tunning and that works good.

So lets break out them caculators and see what we get!:D

And i guess if no one helps me ill just go do it all myself and wont tell anyone how to make a 170 horse Beta I.:p Since i already have a 151 horse 1.8.. shouldnt be too hard...

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you mess up the very nice engine that you now have sitting in your garage that you got from me in this process...well Ill probably laugh!! LOL!! jk!!:D

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
only parts you should convert from the 1.8 to the 2.0

for NA

pistons will gain you a 11.0:1 compression
cam is slightly more aggressive on the 1.8

now if you do a 1.8 piston/rod combo and install it into the 2.0 youll have about 7.8:1 compression then you can boost the hell out of it and forget any plans for NA

NA 4 cylinders arent worth the headache
BUT if i was going to do a NA setup for decently cheap i would:

regrind cams to somethin like 272 duration
1.8 pistons on 2.0 rods
shave head down a few mils and get 12:1 compression
p&p the head, go larger on valves and get the quelch area cleaned up
tubular IM with a nice sized TB
header and exhaust

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I think the 1.8 crank is a better idea if you plan to spin the piss out of it. The 1.8's pistons cross 75fps at 8500rpm, the 2.0's hit that same speed at 7200rpm. The inertial load puts a hell of alot more stress than say adding some combustion pressure via boost.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
random once calculated a piston/rod combo with a 1.8 crank in a 2.0 and calculated it to rev to like 9k rpm SAFELY

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WytchDctr said:
I think the 1.8 crank is a better idea if you plan to spin the piss out of it. The 1.8's pistons cross 75fps at 8500rpm, the 2.0's hit that same speed at 7200rpm. The inertial load puts a hell of alot more stress than say adding some combustion pressure via boost.
So i should just keep it a 1.8? Thats what i was thinking too, cause ive driven the 2.0 and it just feels like it doesnt want to spin up beyond 5k. it just gets mad at you and wont do it. My car gets mad when you DONT pull to the limiter...

I think im going to look at useing 1.8 crank with 2.0 rods/pistons. I need to do some more math, cause i didnt do that or 1.8 crank 2.0 rods 1.8 pistons, or 1.8 crank 1.8 rods 2.0 pistons.

Intake mani will be easy, i have a tig wielder and its going to look sweet. I'm thinking a equal length intake manifold.. mmm.. yeah..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
1.8 crank 2.0 rods 1.8 pistons will yield a higher compression than 1.8 crank 1.8 rods 2.0 pistons

2.0 rods will also allow you rev higher.

If you would like I could do the math for you....

I envy you wilbur I do not have a tig yet....

I have been planning an intake manifold myself... funny you mention the equal length... I wanted to run my intake like an exhaust manifold. the runners will sweep towards the rear of the engine to a throttle body... I have other throughts as well..

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude if you got the specs feel free to do the math lol! Ill have to dig them up again..

Yeah, i was going to have it so the throttle body faced forward, with a small plnuem behind it and have the four intake runners come into it on each side and have them snake to the head. The TB should be right next to the coil packs when finished.

Either that.. or ITB's. And i have great ideas for them too.

I got a 86 golf for christmas so that will be my daily while i can work on the Hyundai. So i really have unlimited time. Unlimited funds would be nice too...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Damn...

Those are some aggressive cams. That idle sounds rough and aggressiev as ****. Do you knwo what the numbers are in that thing?

Howie~

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
178 hp (not sure which country HP) 135 ft/lbs i believe the torque was in kg/meters

18.7 =135

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah...

sticky? i could use some of this in the near future. kudos to everyone that contributed.
i'll second that - would like to see some numbers to back this stuff (displacement etc...)

I gotta finish my Camaros off first - but i'll be coming back to look for this post - thats 100% for sure

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
only parts you should convert from the 1.8 to the 2.0

for NA

pistons will gain you a 11.0:1 compression
cam is slightly more aggressive on the 1.8

now if you do a 1.8 piston/rod combo and install it into the 2.0 youll have about 7.8:1 compression then you can boost the hell out of it and forget any plans for NA

NA 4 cylinders arent worth the headache
BUT if i was going to do a NA setup for decently cheap i would:

regrind cams to somethin like 272 duration
1.8 pistons on 2.0 rods
shave head down a few mils and get 12:1 compression
p&p the head, go larger on valves and get the quelch area cleaned up
tubular IM with a nice sized TB
header and exhaust

So what you guys are saying is that you can take the pistons from 1.8 and put them on the rods of a 2.0 and put it back into the 2.0? Also use the cam out of the 1.8 into the 2.0 also?

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Right. What will the engine be used for, and what kind of trade-offs are you willing to live with? Power doesn't come without a price, and more often than not the price is drivability, noise and a nice and linear power delivery(read: a powerband only three or four thousand revs wide)

Ask yourself how much of this you can live with, because it's a bit of a pain in the arse to even get a highly strung NA motor down to the track without it being on the back of a truck LOL.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
And i guess if no one helps me ill just go do it all myself and wont tell anyone how to make a 170 horse Beta I.:p Since i already have a 151 horse 1.8.. shouldnt be too hard...
Most people have already seen my multi page thread:

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/na-tuning/34598-new-dyno-s-updated-1-5-a.html

I was making 160whp with 250-ish Cat Cams (very small) and a stock bottom end. With just pistons and bigger cams, it would've easily done 180whp. I still plan on building another motor, but right now I'm still working on the Z. I currently have the highest HP and quickest NA Z in Vegas. I have cams going in it today. After the cams comes nitrous, then I can start procuring parts for my Beta motor build. Haven't figured out what kind of Hyundai to stick it in though. Thinking Accent.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Right. What will the engine be used for, and what kind of trade-offs are you willing to live with? Power doesn't come without a price, and more often than not the price is drivability, noise and a nice and linear power delivery(read: a powerband only three or four thousand revs wide)

Ask yourself how much of this you can live with, because it's a bit of a pain in the arse to even get a highly strung NA motor down to the track without it being on the back of a truck LOL.
I would boost the hell out of it. I wouldnt go NA. Just because if you can swap internals and lower the compression then boost would be the way to go. I in the progress of doing a 1.5L turbo on my Accent. One day im going to build me another motor and its going to be a Beta swap. Im just gathering info for future use. Just keeping my options open.

Has anyone swaped the 1.8 pistions on to the 2.0 rods. any issues with this.

I also read about the 1.8 cam can be used on the 2.0 as well, or is that the crank shaft?

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I would boost the hell out of it. I wouldnt go NA. Just because if you can swap internals and lower the compression then boost would be the way to go. I in the progress of doing a 1.5L turbo on my Accent. One day im going to build me another motor and its going to be a Beta swap. Im just gathering info for future use. Just keeping my options open.

Has anyone swaped the 1.8 pistions on to the 2.0 rods. any issues with this.

I also read about the 1.8 cam can be used on the 2.0 as well, or is that the crank shaft?
Original poster wants an "ultimate NA build" bro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts