Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had a 2001 1.5L accent and never had this problem but ive been riding in my dads 1.6L 2002 accent which has a constant hissing sound while the engine is running. sounds like a rotary hiss. im not sure what it is and were hoping its not something drastic but he doesn't want to think about it b/c he doesn't have the money to replace anything right now so he put it in the back of his mind but i don't want to see it to lead to bigger problems. he was thinking water pump but i know nothing about water pumps so im not sure what to think. next time i get a chance ill check under his hood to locate the sound, but if anyone could help that would be great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hissing? like air escaping from a tire hissing or what? check his intake tubing for any cracks. It's possibly a very small leak on a vacuum line, or in his brake booster diaphragm, has he had any kind of brake trouble lately?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well,

If it's a leak, you can do a simple Seafoam test to find it. Take a line from your throttle body... Run it into a can of Seafoam, and let it suck up a second or two of the fluid and then your exhaust should become really smokey. If you have an exhaust manifold leak, it should be very noticable because of smoke inside of the engine bay.

Hell, might as well Seafoam your whole engine while you're at it. :D

Howie~

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i know its nothing coming from the intake or the exhaust but i looked more into it this morning and noticed it was coming from the smaller pulley on the front left of the engine. i believe this is the power steeirng pump because i know its not the under drive pulley, if anyone has this problem or knows how it can be fixed that would be great. its been making this hissing noise for a while but hopefully it doesn't lead to something worse. power steering wont be all that dangerous if lost but it would e nice to continue to have it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts