Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i went to read up on the unorthadox site about the underdrive pulley that says that it lightens up the pulley and supposedly adds between 5-7hp on standard cars and 12-17hp on turbo'd cars as my car isnt turbo'd yet but will be i was wondering if its worth the 125$? I mean does it really show performance gains? Also is it that hard to install....

http://unorthodoxracing.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=URI&Product_Code=0207102_+_

As a note the HP store has it overpriced at 199.95 unorthodox sells it for 125

Also is this just one of the pulley's on the engine... if so then how does just changing one of the pulley make it so much lighter to give such gains in HP/Torque

[Edited by phantam on Sep 28, 2004 8:59 PM]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow for what they advertise as adding a decent amount of HP seems no one uses em i mean 14 reads and 0 reply's shesh lol

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I just saw this thread... give it time...

first off.. I have the UR underdrive crank pulley.. and it was worth every penny I paid for... all of $75 (got it used but never installed from a fellow HPer) the only problem with it.. the pulley is so buried you can't see it. The machine work is FLAWLESS and it is light.... very very very light compared to stock.

Ok.. that out of the way, the pulley does not make HP.. is just saves on the weight and momentium that the engine would have to use horsepower to move.. so, instead of using a few ponies to turn the 5 pound chunk of steel in a tight circle (rotational mass is more than that though) it is able to send them to the wheels...

So.. in a nut shell, it does not make HP.. it frees it up from parasitic drag.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically it doesnt add hp it just allows more HP to reach the wheels. In that case i think i will consider getting one, was it a noticeable gain after you swapped it?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
hard to say.. I also swapped in the 1.8 intake cam at the same time.. it does feel a lot more free to rev... but that big heavy flywheel is still slowing it down.. Next on my list... I got over a 100thousand miles on my car and clutch.. it can't have too many miles left on it.. so I am going to replace the clutch and go with a lighter flywheel come after christmas.

·
Registered
468 Posts
would it effect a good sound system? say one with 2 12" subs and a capacitor? I heard that it makes the car create less power when idling causing the drain to make the car stall n stuff? is that true or would it run fine with my setup too?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
don't know about the power stuff.. I am not into sound systems... but yes, the underdrive pulley will slow down your alternator... especially at idle.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Originally posted by Tweak
[body]
would it effect a good sound system? say one with 2 12" subs and a capacitor? I heard that it makes the car create less power when idling causing the drain to make the car stall n stuff? is that true or would it run fine with my setup too?
[/body]
I wouldn't recommend it if you're running a system. It underdrives the alternator, AC and power steering.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HA ok that clears things up, i have a set, and i love both my AC and power stearing :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts