Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, My car (99 hyundai excel twincam) splutters and coughs and the check engine light comes on only when my car is kept round 3 or less thousand RPM's for too long (usually when below 80km/h). If i thrash the car, its fine but when i ease off for too long just cruisin, then it splutters again! I changed the fuel filter last week and it was clogged up somethin shockin, i thought the clogged filter was the cause but i guess not :S! All the fluid levels are good and the spark plugs are fine (just checked everything) the spark plug leads are 1 month old top gun spark plug leads and on a long trip i had today (2 hours) the car ran fine at about 100km/h and 3000ish RPM the whole way. when i got back into the city it started this **** again! please help guys, i have no idea whats causing it!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you changed the fuel filter and it was clogged up as badly as you said, then there could be a possibility of more clogs in your fuel system. I would try the obvious things like air filter first but if that doesn't work goto a shop and have them run a moto-vac on your car to clean out the fuel lines and the injectors.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think a really good fuel injector cleaner might do the trick? I have been running shell optimax the last 2 tanks so i woulda thought that woulda cleaned it out... Are there ways of removing the injectors and cleaning them manually?

·
Registered
7 Posts
From what I have read and heard about Shell is the dirtiest gas you can buy. GM actually had to change their gas tanks on newer cars from metal to plastic because shell gas was rusting them out after only a year or two.

Fuel injector cleaner bottles that you use when you fill up are ok to try to maintain the injectors and fuel lines but to really flush your system you will definately need a moto-vac done. It's not expenesive it only costs $80 here in Canada so maybe $50 US ? Maybe less. Definately worth the cost even if it doesn't fix your problem IMHO because it improves gas milage and ride quality. I get it done on every car I have owned once a year.

[Edited by LGG on Sep 30, 2004 7:05 AM]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the car into a performance tuning shop today n they worked out wot it was. Turned out it was oil that was squirted back into the intake plenum that was clogging up the MAF sensor in there. they ended up cleaning out the plenum and re tubing the oil intake into the plenum into a new oil catch can... car runs like new now. musta been slowing me down for a week or 2 now, messing up the readings and stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts