Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a middle of the range aftermarket tacho about a year ago now for my 1998 Hyundai Excel Twin Cam.. however lol its been sitting in the car positioned and looking great for about 6 months, everything works eg lights, but i cant find how to hook the dam thing up. i have read and reread every bloody install guide on the net and had no such luck :depressed: if anyone has any help whatsoever please lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated... PS i think its a distributorless car aghhhh .....
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You need a wireing diagram, and you need to look for the 'tach singnal wire', or somthing to that effect. For my car, it was the tach singnal wire. For yours, i can only hope its that easy. Once you find the color code of the wire, its time to get under the dash and find it as it leaves your ECU. Then clip a wire to it, and see if the tach moves. If you get the 'camshaft sensor' wire the tach should move half as fast. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
You need a wireing diagram, and you need to look for the 'tach singnal wire', or somthing to that effect. For my car, it was the tach singnal wire. For yours, i can only hope its that easy. Once you find the color code of the wire, its time to get under the dash and find it as it leaves your ECU. Then clip a wire to it, and see if the tach moves. If you get the 'camshaft sensor' wire the tach should move half as fast. Hope this helps.

thanks man but u would not believe how long i have spent under that dash lol, looking for a white wire hhah i have tried like 10. the instructions were su vauge ...
[/body]

·
Registered
34 Posts
When i hooked mine up in my 96 accent, i had to take apart the ecu and strip part of a wire and connect the wire out of the tach to it..I think it was like slot #47 or something...Anyways it was a major pain in the arse...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah I just did this like 3 weeks ago so I know what your going through. While it is a little pain in the butt it is very do-able and easier than it sounds. Crawl under your dash. Get to your ecu. Unplug the wires. Go through and find the fattest white wire you can. Follow it down and that should be your sensor wire in Pin 47.

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=44957

That link has a picture of where pin 47 is. Just count down and you'll be in business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts