Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I've been parting my car out on the f/s forums.

Recently, I sold my turbo manifold, turbo, and waste gate to a member on rdtiburon.com. He needed the parts quick and we decided to ship this package through USPS Guaranteed Express (which used Fedex). The cost, $145 to ship to a Canadian address. Since the buyer did not want to pay too much tariffs, he asked me to put down a $60 value for the parts. The package was supposed to reach the buyer 1-3 days.

After 1 week, NO PACKAGE DELIVERY.

What's worse, fedex is saying that they never even picked up the package....BULLSHIT. I had the usps employees check the facilities twice to see if the package was still there and both times they checked, nothing has come up.

It's been 2 weeks now and the package, a large 45lb. box at that, is nowhere to be found, the buyer is asking for a full refund, and to add insult, I don't have the money at the moment.

To make matters worse, due to the 60 declared value, even if I was to get a refund from usps, that is all I would be getting. I couldn’t insure the damn package for more since that would be fraud if I were to say the value of the package was only 60, but to insure and claim for more.....

What would you do?

What should I do?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
That sucks but unfortunately you'll probably just have to eat it and pay the guy back asap. You will probably be able to get your $60 back, but that's it. If someone says to declare a value to save money I wouldn't agree unless they assume the associated risks, a.k.a. no refunds. I have heard of a lot of packages being inspected by Canadian Customs and disappearing. It seems more likely to happen if there is an obvious discrepancy between the item's value and it's declared value. I have also heard of shipping taking weeks before arriving because it was held up in Customs.

Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Do you have a slip from Fedex or the USPS? Or anything saying they picked it up. Wouldn't they know where it was? I guess not I could see about a hundred problems with claiming a package is worth less then it really is and this is a perfect example. I would tell him to be patient since it is partially his fault why you are getting screwed on getting your money back but he may not feel that way.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so too. I have all paperwork proving that I shipped the damn thing out. I just can't believe USPS/Fedex could lose a bright white box with black spots (it's a gateway computer box) that weighs 45lbs.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
if you have all the papers to prove that you shipped it, and the buyer asked you to put down only 60 dollars, i would say its on the buyer.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This is my own opinion...but the guy that bought this from you should have known about the customs and even though he requested express shipping, it still all depends on the customs people if they pass it quickly or not. If you have proof you sent it out and didnt screw him over, then he just has to wait for his package to come in..even if it takes longer then a week. Because what if it does come in once you refund him, and he doesnt tell you and you just think its lost in the mail, nowhere to be found with only 60 dollars back that you paid. Then you would be screwed and he would be having a free product. But i hope everything works out fine.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i would have to agree with tibby01

if he told you to put 60 bux

thats what it was worth to him

file a claim get the 60 back and refund him 60

·
Registered
886 Posts
They probably thought it was a computer and said there is no way a computer is worth 60 bucks and stopped it. I don't know how customs works but makes sense to me. I ordered a monitor once and had an empty box show up. I was refunded my money, but someone as UPS has a nice 21" computer monitor.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Ive ordered parts from ebay that were supposed to arrive 3 weeks ago. This is one of the things I really hate about living here.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you should have gotten a receit or a tracking number or something

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sorry to hear about this but remember the situation I was in with you? The exact same thing. I ate $380 or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts