Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to purchase a tow kit for my X3 Excel for a while now, and i was wondering if anyone has used the X3 Excel 1.5 DOHC towing?

Wouldn't mind know how it goes pulling up hill and what not...

If its anything like my XD Elantra it will be good to tow with. I pulled a campervan loaded up around the mountains with air conditioning running and it did excellent without pushing it past 4,000rpm.

I dont want to use my XD for towing anymore, the hitch shows too much.

Am I mad towing with an Excel?

·
Registered
147 Posts
my good sir..... thats like using a dieing fish to pull a whale

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, the Excel is an animal, 230,000km and still with excellent compression ... she'll keep firing for another 200,000 ...

I didn't expect much from a 1.5 with high mileage, but it runs very well.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The X3 is a bit light to tow with. I would not tow more than 1,000 pounds with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hauling my stereo with my 1.5 was like driving a freight truck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its got a tow rating of 600kg / 1300lbs.

When I had the Excel on the weigh bridge it was 1120kg / 2470lbs ... less my weight of 190lbs = 2280lbs / 1030kg ... the car had an empty tank too.

I managed to pick up a hayman reese tow kit for $50 AUD. I'll install it tomorrow.

Hmmm... so to summarise this thread... the 1.5 X3 couldnt even peal the skin off a rice pudding :D

The Elantra does seem to have more usable torque (I know its a 2.0litre) ... guessing the CVVT would have an advantage.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
What are you planning to tow?

I wouldn't pull more than 1000 pounds behind an excel, not so much due to power but braking ability.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a class 2 hitch on my car. The car gets "squirly" at highway speeds if your pulling anything over 20kg. .. . . .and I get a check engine light everytime I pull the trailer. . . .But seriously, I can pull ~900kg trailer off the highway with no major problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, I actually gave it a shot towing roughly 650kg and it did quite well... The poor little 1.5 does struggle a lot more than the Elantra does with the 2.0.

But its still capable. I'll be moving into a new house soon, so plans are to load up the Excel completely and make only a few trips.

I did notice that the Excel is a very light car and would be a main reason I wouldnt tow too much more with it....

'thats like using a dieing fish to pull a whale'
^ thats cracks me up haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts