Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently upgraded my plugs and wires to accell custom wires and denso plugs. while i had it apart i ported the throttle body. when i cleaned it up i took the two sensors off the throttle body. while test driving it i noticed that when providing little throttle 10-25% the car will just cutt of the gas and then reapply it to whatever you have it at but at more than 40% throttle the car runs fine and at wot i have no problems has anyone had this problem before i thought it could be the tps but i don't want to take it to the dealership and have them charge me a crap load if they decide not to cover it
thanks for any input

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could be the TPS are you sure you didn’t put the TPS clip on backwards
And did you reset the ECU and press the throttle pedal at 100% before starting the car

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no diden't press the throttle all the way down before starting will have to try that out before i take it to hyundai thanks will keep you informed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i diden't gap the plugs but you don't gap iridium plugs
tried the pressing the gas pedal before starting and still nothing it is somthing electronic because it only does it hot and at low throttle cruise i tried to get ahold om my obd II code reader but my buddy was out of town so will have to wait till it goes to hyundai or i check it myself:dead:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well you have more play in the gap of iridium plugs. Although if the gap is to large it may need to be made smaller. So yes you do have to gap iridium plugs, you would see some kind of misfire if the plugs were not gapped properly though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got a question about reseting the ecu on this ...... im putting in an AEM cold air intake in a few days and i was wondering... is there anything i have to do like this after it is installed.... do i have to reset anything ? how would i do this

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kpo57 you should take off your negative battery cable and hold the brake down for 15 seconds to reset your ecu
thanks for the info about gaping the plugs my info was misleading
well took it to hyundai and here goes
map and tps sensor not talking to each other tps is bad.
plus my o2 sensors are not reading corectly.
right now they have to prove that my aftermarket parts are the direct cause of the problem with the tps or they have to cover it.
will have to take it back tomorrow and see what they say
oh by the way watch out when messing with these two sensors they run 215 and 85 for the two.:dead:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don’t know if this applies to 04+ vehicles
But on my 03 all I have to do is unhook the negative battery cable for 15min and it resets the ECU
And yes it's better to reset the ECU after each mods you make on the engine

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok so after i put the intake in ill disconect the negitive battery cable and hold down the brake for 15 sec.. and just to make sure ill leave it off for 15 minutes as well.... just curious what exactly does this do... meaning does reseting it make the car preform better. what happens if u dont reset it?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you hold the brake down for 15 seconds it is like letting the cable off for 15 min.
reseting the ecu may let you make more power by fully utilizing the better economy of the mods you put on. like when you put on your intake you are going to be letting more air into the engine so by reseting the ecu it will see this new airflow and allow more fuel to be added to the mix creating more power

now back to the problem at hand

hyundai tried and tried to blame my mods for the failure of the tps but they couldent it was that all along and when they took it out for a final road test they forgot to hook up some random plug that they were messing with which made it run like crap so when i was talking to them they told me that it was worse when it was accually better but all is good now
for anyone who encounters this problem make them prove that it was a failure caused directly by the aftermarket part or abuse before you start paying for anything

[Edited by lucid_dreams on Feb 28, 2006 6:03 PM]

·
Registered
214 Posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t1155-how-to-reset-your-e-c-u.htm

I found some more detials about the ECU reset... u agree with it? also he say to warm up the engine before you do it, but i dont know if im saposed to put the intake in first then drive around to get it warm... or warm it up before.. im not sure:ermm:

·
Registered
305 Posts
It would be kinda hard to put it in after getting it warm... thats just asking to burn yourself on the engine or somethin...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unplug the ecu and hold down the brake then make 2-3 4th gear pulls and that will help relearn the ecu.
that or get a piggy back or other form of engine control device.

[Edited by lucid_dreams on Mar 2, 2006 6:43 PM]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok So i just got my AEM COld air intake for my 04 tibby and i want to put it in... is it gunna be hard to make the stock hole o the tibby bigger so the intake can fit through...and is there anything else that im gunna run into thats gunna be a problem... i dont want to start doing it if half way through somthing wont be right..... how long should this take me.... thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a slice off topic, but I just did CAI on my 04 Tuscani 2 days ago so I thought I'd comment while it's fresh: Making the hole bigger isn't hard... I did it with snips and a hammer from the top and bottom. Admittedly not as beautiful as it could be, but it's not visible, at all, and I can go back and finsh the edge later. I had no problems doing it in a couple of hours, and I'm not much of a mechanic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts