Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

has anyone done this or does anyone know of someone that has done this???
Can it be done??

the standard gearbox for the 2.0 motor just cannot handle the power driven thru it...

HELP!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I beleive it does not bolt up to the 2.0L motor.. but am not 100% sure because i don't think anyone has even tried it.. but i beleive that hyundai did release the 2.0L tibby with a 6spd tranny in korea... if someone could find out if they are the same tranny than that might be able to help you a bit more... if you do end up findin a tranny that works with it please let me know as i've been thinkin of the idea for a while now and was thinking about gettin one from korea is that is what has to be done...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool..will find out more if I can... long shot... but worth it if it works.

G

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
what kind of power are you pushing through the 2.0 tranny to neccesitate such a conversion?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
What does power have to do with anything? The 6 speed doesn't necessarily hold more power. But some people just want an extra gear.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
an extra gear for what besides highway driving? 5spd and 6spd tranny's have different ratios. if i were boosted, i'd rather lose boost pressure 4 times instead of 5 if on a long run race on the highway or something. i know most races never last that long, but still..... thats why supercharged or turbocharged automatics blow the doors off of most manuals with the same mods (they dont lose pressure)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I heard they have a six speed 4cyl in Korea.

It has been debated on RDtiburon.com for a while with no definate answer I believe

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK... The idea in theory is... the 2.7 V6 motor pushes more torque than the 2.0 motor... thus the understanding that the 2.7 v6 gearbox or rather 6 speed box "should" be stronger than the 2.0 gearbox..right?? So for turbo like on my car,it "may" be stronger?

The other reason is I top out at 230Kmh on the 2.0 gearbox and MAYBE the 6 speed gearbox is geared for slightly higher speed?? correct?? MAybe around 240mh or 250kmh or so without taking the motor past the redline...

Also I am thinking along the lines of taking the car on 1Km top speed run which happens once a month here...so IF the 6 speed has different gear ratio in the gears and lengthening to the top gears...it could help.

I dunno...I stand corrected or told otherwise...

But thats my reasoning behing why it must be done.... if possible.

G:|

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
get really tall tires, your get a higher top speed.
Yeah yeah...

like your sense of humour...heheX)

Still looking by the way...

[Edited by lostbuoy on Oct 24, 2005 5:23 AM]

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 6 speed trany in the tib is a Japan built trany. MFA60 is the trany number. Not sure if it would fit on a Beta motor. It also has a pull type throw out bearing like the Elantra. Not sure why you would want a 6 speed unless your road racing to get the right ratios..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
check my post further up...its all to do with power to the wheels...my engine is making close to 305Hp at crank... the standard 2.0 tranny does not last...specially the diff....I broke 5 in one year doing rough corners at 100Mph +....

Though I dont do that much anymore, just the thought of having 6 gears on a 2.0 motor sounds good... It WILL also benifit top end which is what I am really after..

Grant

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK...
After some more investigation, I now have come to find that the V6 Tibby Gearbox is shared by certain other cars manufacturers like Nissan(maxima, and X- trail) Mazda6 and tribute and Ford Escape..Old news by the looks of things but its still news to me...LOL

So NOW... this means it will be easier to get hold of BUT...the question is now...will if fit with only minor mods or bolt on with ease ..or is it a total lost cause and in need of brackets and adapter plates...?????

lets find out and see,.....

Grant

[Edited by lostbuoy on Oct 28, 2005 2:57 PM]

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you're serious about it I bet you could have an adapter plate made. No one's tried it yet to my knowledge

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HELL YEAH I am goig to try it...first have to find out how much these bits cost though... and then some..

G

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
did you kill the spider gears in the differential? Have you considered a lsd?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 years ago I blew 5 Gearboxes in a matter of 9 months, thru destroying the spidergears and the dif breaking the entire gearbox.... As well as 3 or 4 clutches thru slippage and burning out altogether when racing...The spider gear thru hill climbing at 100Mph + around corners and ...well you get it..!!

As a Project, I would like to get hold of the 6 speed box... and later a lsd with it... but yes I have concidered getting a quaffe or other dif with the original gearbox..... but her the diff would cost more than a gearbox...so for now keeping my options going all ways instead of just one.

Grant

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The 6 speed gearbox will NOT fit the beta engine. 1. the bolt patten on the bell housing is different; 2. the clutch won't slide on the input shaft on the 6 speed on the 2 liter, and the V6 clutch won't fit the flywheel on the 2 liter and the V6 flywheel won't bolt up to the crankshaft either and 3, there is not enough room for it to fit if adapters are used.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
kspec sells different final ratios for your tranny. see if you can get a lower final drive for the 5 speed and a LSD. that would be your best bet really. honestly at your power level a 5 speed should be just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts