Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the veterans of the board...

I was just curious as to the major bandaids needed to tune a v-6 engine, compared to an inline...

.thanx.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Could you be a tad more specific? What do you mean by "major bandaids". What are you conteplating with what engine in what Chassis?

Leave it to Random to Needlessly complicate things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Could you be a tad more specific? What do you mean by "major bandaids". What are you conteplating with what engine in what Chassis?

Leave it to Random to Needlessly complicate things.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=1 id=quote>
this is mainly a question concerning the balance of the camshafts and the general shape of the engine (V6 versus an inline) and how each affects performance...

I'm just a layman in automotive tech (still working on it) and any help in understanding the pros and cons of engine types would be helpful...

.than.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for anybody who is interested, I found the answer to the question on another board...

"V6's are a shitty idea...
For overall design, V6's come with engineering bandaids like all this counterweighting and balance shafts on those shortass cranks, which obviously limit revs...
For tuning/all-out performance, when it comes to turbo, they are pretty much limited to having twin-turbo setups, unless you could create some wildly kinked plumbing to place a single turbo (which you'd need a huge engine bay for)... the problem with V6 w/ twins would be that the sizing of the turbos is severely limited by the fact that you only have 3 cylinders in each bank to drive each turbo (which wouldn't create much exhaust velocity compared to a big il4,i.e. SR20DET or a straight-6, i.e. 2JZ-GTE, RB-series), so effectively it'd be similar to having 2 turbo Geo Metro motors in your car So, obviously that means you aren't gonna have anything like twin T-78s or anything like that on your VG30 or whatever
In common practice, V6's usually come NA, and in transverse setups with unequal length axles-think Maxima, Accord, Camry, etc...with the shitload of torque that a turbo or S/C creates, you'd be dealing with some crazy torque steer, and an odd weight balance in the nose end of the car..... AWD balances it out a lil, but adds all that weight to the car.....
So since you can count on your hands the number of high-performance V6 cars out there (NSX, GTO/Galant VR-4s, M-B 3.2Kompressor series, 300ZX, etc) and you see that none of them is a transverse FF, and all still carry a lot of compromises when it comes to ultimate performance or untapped potential....
So why do they even make V6s? Packaging/weight constraints and budgeting....
BTW, @lf82, lemme guess, you're wondering how much potential the new Tiburon will have right? I'd say, uh, not much " -Mr.E...

who happens to be the one most knowledgable person I have found, in the field of automotive tech...

.k.

·
Registered
623 Posts
wow, hwa that is some interesting info, never thought about all that. Thanks

2001 Tiburon
Black with Blacked out windows
Alpine cd player
More mods to come slowly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts