Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

After long time reading, i've decided to take some action swapping a '07 tiburon engine (Beta2 2.0 with vvt) to my '01 LC accent (G4EA 1.3 12V)

I can't found so much info about vvt swap, and the crashed tibby will not wait forever in the car lot... so i need some serious help

First part: "Parts list.What i need to buy from the tibby??"

Engine, tranny & ecu fit the accent, right? something else?
Maybe useful the wiring harness? Any special part for vvt?

I've read a lot about map & maf, but i don't understand very well what is it.
Anybody can give me some help

After the engine swap is completed i'm going to try something weird.
I want tibby seats, 4 disc brakes, abs and 4 airbags ( my accent have 1)

I have read that the brakes and seats of the tib will fit, right?
But the tibby have 5bolts on wheels and the accent 4.I need to convert to 5 bolts?

Anybody tried with the abs or airbags?
I think i will need the airbag controller (and of course a double airbag ¿dashboard?) will the controller of the tibby work with accent's airbags??
Some ideas with the ABS?

I know there are lots of questions, but if anybody can help even with one answer i will be very grateful.
Thank you for reading, and sorry for language mistakes.
i'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
You have your hands full.

The 07 Tiburon brakes will not swap over, at least not reasonably easily. The RD/RD2 brakes can swap over pretty easily in the front but in the rear you need a special bracket to replace the drums.

The ECU won't swap in either assuming it's like the US market ECU. Wiring might be an issue because it can vary from market to market so with most people on here being from North America our advice on wiring might not apply. I'm pretty sure that the 07 will have a CAN ECU and the LC has an OBDII ECU. Even if they're both OBDII the pinouts are different so it won't be plug and play. You can either swap wiring harnesses to the Tib's, hack up your harness and run wires to anything else you might need for the Tib ECU, or run a standalone. With the CVVT running the engine on a LC/LC2 1.6l DOHC ALPHA ECU is not an option. You could check the wiring diagrams to see if the pinouts and connector is the same on the CVVT Alpha in the MC Accent but I highly doubt it.

If you're using the Tib tranny you will need all new mounts plus you'll need to use modified axles.

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure. It's a sensor in your intake manifold which senses pressure and vacuum to determine how much air is going into the engine.

MAF = Mass Air Flow. It's a sensor in your intake tube which measures airflow based on how much a hot wire is cooled by incoming air.

Tib seats swap but you'll need to modify the way the seats mount a bit. They're not a direct fit to the shape of the floor of the Accent.

You don't want to add airbags. Airbag equipped cars have other modifications that are in place, such as differently designed seats along with who knows what all else. If you do want to do it you'll want to use the Tiburon controller AND sensors. All of them, the entire system. The side airbags are in the Tib seats but they might behave in an unreliable manner mounted into the Accent because the interiors are so different. Maybe it would be great, maybe not. If you try that mod good luck on it but I highly suggest you don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have your hands full.

The 07 Tiburon brakes will not swap over, at least not reasonably easily. The RD/RD2 brakes can swap over pretty easily in the front but in the rear you need a special bracket to replace the drums.

The ECU won't swap in either assuming it's like the US market ECU. Wiring might be an issue because it can vary from market to market so with most people on here being from North America our advice on wiring might not apply. I'm pretty sure that the 07 will have a CAN ECU and the LC has an OBDII ECU. Even if they're both OBDII the pinouts are different so it won't be plug and play. You can either swap wiring harnesses to the Tib's, hack up your harness and run wires to anything else you might need for the Tib ECU, or run a standalone. With the CVVT running the engine on a LC/LC2 1.6l DOHC ALPHA ECU is not an option. You could check the wiring diagrams to see if the pinouts and connector is the same on the CVVT Alpha in the MC Accent but I highly doubt it.

If you're using the Tib tranny you will need all new mounts plus you'll need to use modified axles.

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure. It's a sensor in your intake manifold which senses pressure and vacuum to determine how much air is going into the engine.

MAF = Mass Air Flow. It's a sensor in your intake tube which measures airflow based on how much a hot wire is cooled by incoming air.

Tib seats swap but you'll need to modify the way the seats mount a bit. They're not a direct fit to the shape of the floor of the Accent.

You don't want to add airbags. Airbag equipped cars have other modifications that are in place, such as differently designed seats along with who knows what all else. If you do want to do it you'll want to use the Tiburon controller AND sensors. All of them, the entire system. The side airbags are in the Tib seats but they might behave in an unreliable manner mounted into the Accent because the interiors are so different. Maybe it would be great, maybe not. If you try that mod good luck on it but I highly suggest you don't.
Thank you very much for your help 187sks.

Searching for RD brakes swap i've found info about the rear bracket (for the calipers, isn't?) and looks pretty easy :)

About the airbags... you're right, maybe my best chance is a two airbag conversion, but i don't really know if the tibby airbag controller and sensor will work with accent's airbags.If not the hacking will be very difficult to do...

Any tip about ABS?

Seats don't seem to be difficult and your map/maf explanation was great, so... my main headache now is the engine/tranny swapping.
I'm pretty sure that pinouts are different in both cars.
As you said the LC is an OBD2, but i don't know about the tibby.As i can see in the forum the wiring looks the same for north american and european cars.

So if i get it right my best chance is to swap engine (one custom mount?), wiring harness and ecu hacking the arness of the tibby for accent install (lights, etc) and the vvt will work.is it right?

Two last questions:
do you think there's enough room in the accent to accomodate tibbys AC and power steering?
you said:
"If you're using the Tib tranny you will need all new mounts plus you'll need to use modified axles"
It looks pretty hard work, specially the axles so... maybe possible to keep the accent tranny?

Thank you very much for your help, is highly appreciated :)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
No problem about the help, I like interesting swaps. :)

About the airbags... you're right, maybe my best chance is a two airbag conversion, but i don't really know if the tibby airbag controller and sensor will work with accent's airbags.If not the hacking will be very difficult to do...
The airbag controllers have gotten a lot more sophistocated since the LC. I think a 2 airbag conversion would be pretty easy provided that you can find a 2 airbag dash, worst case scenario you could relay the second bag off of the Accent's controller deploy output to the single bag.

Any tip about ABS?
It'll be a lot of work but I'm pretty sure that on the Accent the ABS is completely independent of the ECU (but I might be wrong) but the Tib (at least with TC and/or ESC) has ties between the ECU and the ABS. I think your best bet would be to try to retrofit some type of standalone ABS or maybe ABS from a RD or RD2 if it was an option since you're swapping to RD brakes. Since you're changing to rear discs you'll have a mix of brake sizes unless you swap to RD front discs as well and the wheel speed sensors will probably get angry if they don't match what the controller expects.

Unless you have a specific need for it I personally would skip the ABS conversion due to difficulty.

So if i get it right my best chance is to swap engine (one custom mount?), wiring harness and ecu hacking the arness of the tibby for accent install (lights, etc) and the vvt will work.is it right?
I think in your case yes that would be a good option if you're dead set on an engine with CVVT. You might even want to get an earlier Tibby or Elantra ECU that'll run the CVVT because it's a simpler ECU.

Two last questions:
do you think there's enough room in the accent to accomodate tibbys AC and power steering?
It is possible to retain the PS and A/C if you want to but it's pretty tight. It is doable though.

you said:
"If you're using the Tib tranny you will need all new mounts plus you'll need to use modified axles"
It looks pretty hard work, specially the axles so... maybe possible to keep the accent tranny?
Yes you can keep your tranny. The Beta tranny is stronger, but it requires tranny mount changes and moves the differential location so your axles won't work anymore. I'm not sure about this but I think the splines might even be different on the 4-cyl GK Tib axles than on the Elantra/Accent/RD Tib.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys with this info i finally see the way :)
Now i'm trying to find both RD & accent to get some components.
The vvt engine was purchased today and it have a long way home.
I'm leaving now to my holiday trip (this year: Jordania) and i'll be out about one month.Engine it's supposed to be here when i come back.I cannot wait :D

No problem about the help, I like interesting swaps. :)

The airbag controllers have gotten a lot more sophistocated since the LC. I think a 2 airbag conversion would be pretty easy provided that you can find a 2 airbag dash, worst case scenario you could relay the second bag off of the Accent's controller deploy output to the single bag.

That's pretty smart.Wonderful idea!

It'll be a lot of work but I'm pretty sure that on the Accent the ABS is completely independent of the ECU (but I might be wrong) but the Tib (at least with TC and/or ESC) has ties between the ECU and the ABS. I think your best bet would be to try to retrofit some type of standalone ABS or maybe ABS from a RD or RD2 if it was an option since you're swapping to RD brakes. Since you're changing to rear discs you'll have a mix of brake sizes unless you swap to RD front discs as well and the wheel speed sensors will probably get angry if they don't match what the controller expects.

Unless you have a specific need for it I personally would skip the ABS conversion due to difficulty.

Ok.I've decided to swap without ABS but... when swap is finish i'll assume the challenge

I think in your case yes that would be a good option if you're dead set on an engine with CVVT. You might even want to get an earlier Tibby or Elantra ECU that'll run the CVVT because it's a simpler ECU.

That engine is like a candy in front of a school.It's about 6K milles.And i like interesting swaps too ;)
Where's the point of getting an older ECU? any advantage?

It is possible to retain the PS and A/C if you want to but it's pretty tight. It is doable though.

Yes you can keep your tranny. The Beta tranny is stronger, but it requires tranny mount changes and moves the differential location so your axles won't work anymore. I'm not sure about this but I think the splines might even be different on the 4-cyl GK Tib axles than on the Elantra/Accent/RD Tib.

Wich axles is using the people? the RD will fit?
I don't know the meaning of "splines", but looks like i've to look for another axles anyway...

Thank you again 187sks, i owe you a beer :)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The point of getting the older ECU is that it would be OBDII but if it was the right year it could still control the CVVT. If the 07 ECU is OBDII there would be no point in using an older ECU. If the 07 ECU is CAN it controls a lot more than the engine and makes it a lot more complicated to retrofit. I think the 07 ECU in the US is a CAN ECU but like I said I'm not positive.

If you keep your transmission your axles will work. If you swap to the Tib's transmission I think one of your axles will work but one will need shortened or to use a specific other axle (automatic Accent or Elantra or something like that I would have to look up) to fit. There's also the possibility that the axles are different diameter or spline pattern (splines are the slots on the axle which engage grooves in the differential so that power can be transmitted to the axles) on the GK Tiburons because the V6 GK Tiburons have incompatible axles with the Accents, Elantras, and RD Tiburons. I am just not sure about the 4 cyl GK Tiburons since I don't remember anyone doing this swap yet and finding out first hand. When we changed the clutch on a 4 cyl GK Tiburon it's axles looked beefier than those on my Accent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again!!
I'm back from holidays and ready to start my swap.
Tomorrow i will chech with delivery agency about my engine :D
I will try to make some pics during the process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts