Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any idea what i would need to do this? i am looking at MSD's website and god [email protected] they have a lot of crap. this is for the scoupe obviously and its OBD1. maybe i would be better off going standalone, but i dont think its legal in the US.

argh i dont know what to do :disappointed: i never thought i would have this much trouble spending money. if there is a full standalone system that anyone knows of that is US legal let me know. i dont know how the rules apply for pre OBDII cars but if i can switch to a standalone i would love to.

all opinions welcome.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I IM NOT SURE ABOUT THE US, BUT MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT SATND ALONSE ARE ILLEGAL IN AUSTRALIA. [sorry for the caps, caps lock off now;): ] they are not.

programmable ecu's are ilegal. s if you have your ecu tued, and it can pass emissions, and it has a pin lock loke most do, its perfectly legal.

also, who is gona know you have a stand alone computer unless you bolt it to the top of the dash and put PROGRAMMABLE ENGINE MANAGEMENT COMPUTER in big letters on top???

imo if you can afford it, go for it. just put it somwhere hidden, like where the factory ecu is. how many cops know the diffeence between an aftemarket computer and a factory one, let alone where to look for it?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Swap to a later alpha head, and use the factory coil packs. Voila, no more distrubutor.

·
Registered
842 Posts
do you even need the full head? couldn't you just pull the distributor off the old one? but then will the ecu be able to control the coilpacks?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Sure, you can pull the distributor out, if you like gaping oil spewing holes on the side of your motor. Or you can get a $75 junkyard head.

·
Registered
842 Posts
well obviously you would replace it with something off the accent head. ; i don't want anything spewing holes... or oil.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by skierd
[body]
Swap to a later alpha head, and use the factory coil packs. Voila, no more distrubutor.
[/body]
thats what i am looking at doing. however, i am concerned with the wiring issue. the ECU currently is sending out 1 signal to pulse the single distributer 4 individual times (per 2 revolutions). how will the coil packs know when to fire? i was thinking that using the signals from the ecu (before the single pack) into some sort of ignition box that can differentiate which of the 4 individual packs to fire based on crank position. mechanically i know i have to swap the head but electronically how would i accomplish the correct firing pattern? :puzzled:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You could always install an inline "toggle" switch for the ECU's output to the distributor. That way it would switch between the two coilpacks after each pulse. Not sure how you would do this, but I know its possible since I think the RX-7 guys need something similar to run a haltech.

BTW, why are we doing this?

[Edited by skierd on Oct 12, 2005 11:35 AM]

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by skierd
[body]
BTW, why are we doing this?
[/body]
i am getting a good deal on a newish p&p accent head and also i want to be able to adjust timing. i figure there is a product out there somewhere that can either work with the scoupes distributer output and modify it OR just take a crank/tps signal and do a standalone ignition map.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts