Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive recently noticed that im getting water in the rear wheel well where the spare wheel goes. it only seems to be right at the end where the rear seats meet it but im very concerned as i have alot of audio in the rear of my car (NOT THE SPARE WHEEL) and need to fix this problem ASAP really does anybody have any idea where it could be coming in from. we thought it might have been the rear boot lid seal but to be honest dont look like that it looks like its coming in from the side somewhere. or even through the roof and running down the side and resting there? Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
maybe the trunk's water distribution is messed up, i would start there. the trunk has slits in it to let the water flow around the actual trunk cargo area and if the seals get damaged or misaligned you can get water in your trunk and can seep through the carpet. or maybe your trunk is just condensing, i had the problem in my previous car, it was never able to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had the same problem when i put all my audio gear in the trunk. what happend was all the air pressure from the subs were making the ventalation flaps in the trunk open constantly and after a while the just got blown off. these vent ports are located on either side of the trunk and you can see where they are because the plastic in the trunk has slits in it and they are right behind them. what you need to is take the rear bumper off and either replace the vent ports or fix the rubber flaps. what i did was totaly seal them over when i dynomatted my trunk. water rarley enters the trunk so theres no real need to have drains in the truk. i usually check every now and then for water in the trunk and i havent seen any. also its a plus becuase it keeps all theair pressure from the subs inside the trunk and in the car if you have a hatch back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Last year my 98 Accent developed a leak in the back. Once day as I was cleaning out the car. the floor in the back felt very wet. Then went to move stuff off the back seat, and aswell that too was even moreso wet. I looks all over. Took out the back trunk carpet. I couldn't find it. I even went to the lengths of getting a pitcher of water pouring it over the roof to making it drain down thru the seals. After each pour, I checked inside the trunk. All my leaking was from the left or drivers side of the car. But did not see any flowing water from anywhere. There was a lot of condensation, but don't think thatwould lead to 4" of water in the spare area.

I went to the hardware store and got a tube of Black RTV silicone. Dabbed on my finger and sealed all the edges all over the lid closure area. As an extra measure I took drill and drilled a 1/4" hole in the spare well. So far have not had any more leaks. Also I made sure the area was pretty well dried and sprayed on a Rustoleum paint to help preventing any more rusting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Classic neon problem.

The problem was the tail light gaskets. The glue on the foam would break down and water would seep in comming down the edges of the trunk and down on the tail light gaskets, saturating them and leaking through into the trunk. Now you would think not much water could get in but no, 1 inch of standing water in the floorboard and wheel well for the spare. This was especially common with some aftermarket tails. Could also have been from the tails not ligning up properly on the backside along the trunk aswell. I recomend drfinately pulling the carpet and panels from around the tail lights on the next rain and seeing if there is any moisture comming down.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts