Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be using a 14b turbo and wanted to know if the coolant lines are absolutely necessary? I've seen a lot of turbo setups that don't use water even though the turbo have coolant openings.

The weather is hot where I live, so it could be a problem.

Has anybody found premature wear of the turbo without the coolant?

If I buy a turbo timer would they still be necessary?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
just to be no the safe side i would use em, its pretty easy to hook them up just using the throttle body coolant lines, is it a clearence problem?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If the turbo has oil AND coolant lines to hook up too then obviously it is designed to run with both. If it is designed to be ran with both then running oil alone will heat it up more than it should be. Use both.... You wouldnt install a air fuel controller and not hook it up to the maf or even the injectors would you?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
well, there not absolutely necessary.. the most important reason they have water cooled turbos is so that a turbo timer isnt really neccesary, or as neccessary.. you have a stock 14b from an eclipse or alike DSM, reason it has water cooled, is because factory cars dont have turbo timers, without water cooling, it would ruin the turbo over time.. you dont NEED it, but its not hard to hook up, so i would do it.. and still use turbo timer.. cooler, the better, less wear, means longer lasting turbo..

omgbossis, that isnt a good comparison at all lol...

so all in all, if i had water cooled section, i would use it, but you dont have to, and as long as you have turbo timer, you will be fine..

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
water cooled bearing sections have almost twice the life expectancy of the ones that are just oil cooled. You have to keep in mind the coolant is not just cooling the turbo, it cools the housing that the oil passes through so naturaly the oil gets cooled as well. On just an oil turbo that super HOT oil gets back into your engine with no cooling what so ever and the overall result is higher coolant/engine temps. BTW, there hasn't been a factory car with a turbo that hasn't run coolant to the turbo built in almost 20 years! Its pretty easy, but its up to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually it's give and take. Water cooled turbos are easier on the bearings extending the life of the turbo, however watercooled turbos also tend to lead to coking in the turbo's which eventually can screw with shaft play or blow out seals.

fyi, if a turbo has both I hook up both. Just because they're there.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
From everything I've read is that with water/oil cooled turbos it almost eliminates coking of the oil.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved. I´ll install the water lines. I was asking about coolant lines because I was having a hard time finding banjo fittings for the hoses (Or any other fitting for that matter).

By the way, I´m sure the water lines are there to prevent oil cooking, not produce it: I just wanted to know from people who didn´t installed the coolant lines and use a turbo timer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
www.roadraceengineering.com

they sell a braided oil and coolant line set that is not banjo bolt. That's what I run on my turbo's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I stand corrected.. still requires banjo bolts.. but they also sell them for like $1-5

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2g16ginstallkit.htm

scroll through that price list.

you can also go to grainger or home depot or something and buy steel braided plumbing hose that fits the turbos so you don't need the banjo bolts..

http://www.turbomustangs.com also has like a list of parts/distributors you can by these miscelaneous pieces from.

[Edited by daihashi on Nov 9, 2005 1:26 PM]

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Remember that, even with coolant lines hooked-up to the turbo, water-circulation stops as soon as you switch the engine off!......hence the need to idle the motor for a couple of minutes before switching off (or fitting a turbo timer!).

In either event, pure synthetic oil will vastly reduce your chances of `coking` the turbo`s bearing.

Cheers,
Nick.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts