Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why are weighted shift knobs as much as short shifters? wouldn't a short throw shifter make more of a difference? after all how much of a difference can a weighted knob make?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
When adding a short shifter, you loose leverage and it turn requires you to make more of an effort to change gears. The weighted shift knob will counter act that affect and lessen the effort required to move the shifter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so whats the best short throw shifter you guys have had the best performance from?

·
Registered
589 Posts
i have the TWM performance short shifter and i love it. it is the best thing i've done to my car. i didn't buy the weighted knob to go with it, but i don't think you really need it. they are kind of expensive. shifting was a little stiff at first but you get used to it quickly. plus it came with very clear instructions and was easy to install.:D

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
i just have a XD Knob on my LC, unlike the short shifter when you have to reach yuor wrist out to shift gears..i can stil shift from my comfy spot, and it's easier to drive with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
where would I be able to get a short shifter or weighted knobs from? Everything that I have seen is universal, and my luck with universal is garbage! Any sites that I could find specific to my 1.5L. thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do you install these? are they universal? They don't say how they are installed and I won't buy it if its universal because most of those break and come off over time (usually a week for me). If they just screw on like the stock does to the metal shifter that'll be great.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If you're talking about the shifters......While some shifters may be interchangeable between other car makes and models, all of TWM Performance's shifters are sold as model specific and will come with specific installation instructions for your car.

If you're talking about the Knob....Most are universal and will come with sleeves to fit your application. I'm sure the TWM knobs are pre-threaded to fit on their own shifters but they will probably come with the sleeves as well.

P.S. How do you break a shift knob?

·
Registered
101 Posts
alright cool, I always break the crappy sleeve that they give you. The threading or whatever it actually is looses grip and always looses up and it then is garbage. But I will probably try these, but damn 100.00 for a shift knob. Wow.
Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so here is my question should I go with twm or psc? psc's shifter looks like the entire assembly but twm's looks like just the neck...which one shoulkd i go with?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the PSC is a modified stock shifter. The TWM is a full replacement.

My opinion is biased (because I own a TWM and don't have experience with the PSC shifter) BUT, if you were to ask me....I'm sure the PSC one is of decent quality but I would rather have the one that was engineered and developed specifically for my car as opposed to a hack job. My .02 cents.

Keep in mind. If you go with the PSC shifter, they require you to send in a Core. This means you will either pay a core charge and keep your stock shifter or you will pay the additional shipping costs to send your stock shifter to Austraila. If you go with the latter, expect your car to be non-operational for at least 3 weeks. Figuring all that in, price will be about the same. Maybe even a little less from TWM.

[Edited by 1SickGS on Nov 3, 2005 8:28 PM]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH! i had no idea thanks for the info

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just so you know those twm shift knobs are metal and you will freeze your f****g hand in the winter and burn it in the summer. I love my short shifter but the weighted knob is really not needed. On the other hand it does look and feel good when you can touch it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your good comments,

As mentionned in this thread, our short shifter kits are all engineered for specific cars. Each one is made entirely from high strength steel. No welds, no glue, just a solid shifter.

Our shift knobs use a system that we called NTIS. It uses an insert that is threaded just like your car, so it's not necessary to adjust those common three set screws our competitors use, because everybody knows these will loosen in a mather of weeks. The NTIS provides a solid and stable knob. Plus, if you buy another car with a different thread pattern, you'll be able to keep your knob and only change the insert inside the knob! Don't forget all of our shift knob is height adjustable too!

Visit our website to learn how exactly NTIS work and to see all our available shift knobs!

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/column/index.html

Take a look at our new designs coming by January!

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/

Thanks,

Jean-Sebastien
TWM Performance
www.twmperformance.com

Call us toll free if you have any question: 1-877-655-0540

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
that adjustable knob is very interesting....clever alternative to a short shifter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In some cars, the threads in the knob don't go very deep and in that case our products are very interesting, because the threads go deeper. The other advantage is that all of our knobs are weighted. If you like the stock throw, I would suggest to buy a weighted shift knob and a bushing kit.

On the other hand, if you like the stock knob height, but don't like the stock throw, you can buy the whole package and adjust the knob at the stock height.

Call us if you would like to know more, toll free: 1-877-655-0540

1 - 18 of 18 Posts