Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 sonata GL w/ 105k miles
So. this started about 4 months ago. Noticed that the car was a bit sluggish, not accelerating as it used to when I step on the gas( a visible fraction of sec before it reacted and a little slow to gain momentum). At that time I got the timing belt changed and figured that it might be related to it. But after the timing belt was replaced, I still had it and now the CEL comes on and off and I could see the car behaving sluggishly when the CEL is on and accelerating normally when it is off. But since it is coming on and going away, I just got lazy to get it checked. Now I noticed that the engine occasionally dies at a stop light, or almost dies before the light turns green and I hit the pedal. It also died at least a 3 times when I shift to reverse. Every time the engine stops it starts right away without any issues.( engine dying a total of maybe 7 times in the last 5 months)
Any clues as to what is causing this, is this something serious or is it just a minor maintenance item? By the way the CEL is currently on.
Thanks guys. shall appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Go to a local Autozone (if you have them there) and get the CEL scanned. That should tell you a lot about what's going on.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Get the code read then post it here.

·
Registered
686 Posts
sounds like maybe tps and or maf, both not cheap solutions, better have it scanned to see what the ecu says

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the code.

Get the code read then post it here.
This is what I got as the code: P0100
it also said MAF or VAF A circuit malfunction.

Now does this sound like what could be causing the problem?
Is this an expensive fix? Should it be taken care of right away or can it wait?
Can this be done by myself or does it need to go to the shop?

Appreciate your suggestions and help.
thanks,

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
There's a problem with your MAF sensor. Start by checking the plug is in tight. Check none of the wires are broken or frayed. Try cleaning the MAF. Carefully clean the wire inside the MAF with an alcohol soaked cotton swap. If none of this works, you may need a new MAF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

Hi there Im new here from down under and am here for the same reason as you. I nearly died as I started accelerating at a 100km intersection to find my car die and almost me with it. I did some investigating which mechanics and no-one could fix it, they tried the fuel filter, the tank, the fuel line, auto transmision and nothing fixed it. It was a problem that would come and go not stay there all the time but we seem to find it happened more when it was overcast, drizzling or raining.

We googled the problem and found that there was an Australian saftey recall in 2001 for the MAF the Product Recalls Australia - Main page website showed details of how this could stall and cause loss of acceleration etc. I got onto hyundai and they looked up my VIN they said it had been replaced 4years ago.

Its defenetely the MAF but I dont understand why Hyundai would replace the faulty life threatening part with another dodgy one. Noone from hyundai will help me and they can not even tell me if I was to buy a new MAF today if it was a different type from the one originally recalled. I was told hyundai does not keep that information.

In summary be warned it is a life threatening problem (I really nearly died) and that it seems even when replaced it will happen again and again during the life of this model of sonata.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts