Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about due for an oil change and I normally get the high mileage oil (not sure of brand, cant remember) and I normally put the Fram oil filters on my car!! However, I was just informed that Fram does not work and to use Wix oil filters but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions as to good oils and oil filters to use! Thanks for the help!!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Genuine Hyundai filters are excellent, and in general our engines aren't that picky about oil so any 10w30 should be fine. High mileage oil doesn't hurt either, it has additives to help limit oil burning and to condition seals, etc. that can be helpful.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrite thanks!! I think the oil I use is the Castrol High Mileage but Im not 100% sure!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
NAPA Gold is the same thing as Wix. You might want to look into a 5w-30 oil if your winters are cold.

High mileage oil is good, and Valvoline Maxlife is one of the best you can get off the shelf. It's part synthetic, so it helps with winter start-ups.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use Mobile One 10W30 and Mobile One filters. I change the oil every 7500 miles. I have a 99 Accent with 112K miles ( most highway and some auto-cross )on it and burn no oil.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Ill remember those, the other thing is that I forgot to mention is that my engine has 214K miles on it! So would that make a difference as to when to change it and what to use? Im pretty good at doin the oil change every 3000 miles like suggested!:D Give or take a couple hundred miles!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd use Maxlife and stay away from full synthetics, as they have a tendancy to leak in high-mileage engines.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I just don't like syn because my engine is loud with it. Always has been since new. It's even louder with synthetic blend than regular dino oil. That's my main reason. I've seen the same in a couple other Hyundais, and seen some that it wasn't louder at all. I equate valvetrain/bottom end noise with increased wear and I feel better if it makes less noise.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I've never used 10w30 in my car...something to think about I guess.

When I froze the Fiero solid a time or two, I started using 5w30 and old habits die hard.

I know my car has always smelled "unique" in the engine compartment...but that may just be the particular blend of mud I have cooked onto the engine.:D

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I ended up getting the Napa Gold oil filter and my normal oil that I always use...for some reason I am having trouble remembering what brand but I am goin to try that oil filter and see if I notice a difference!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
if your engine has 200+ miles on it i would tell whomever that it is pretty obvious that the oil and filter you were using was working.

but i use k-n oil filters and castrol oil syn

·
Registered
706 Posts
The hyundai filters are pretty damn hard to beat.. i cut on open and it was very very well made.

I use them along with Elf LDX 5w40 or Agip 5w40. Although recently I picked up Synpower recently for super cheap so ill be using that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts